Early Christmas Present!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicken_crazy93, Nov 30, 2010.

1. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    You know, all of us has the kid still in us, at any age. I started back raising chickens last month when a buddy's daughter gave me three Cochin/Barred Rock Pullets. I hadn't fooled with chickens in over 25yrs. Anyway, since I got my chickens, I now have 21, I've wanted someway of feelin secure that they were protected durin the day & at night as my chickens come out of the coop in the mornin & go back in to roost every evenin & free range in a 1/2 acre chainlink fenced area & I have a small openin cut out in the bottom of the front wall of the coop for them to come & go. My buddy has a Red Heeler that is the smartest dog I've ever seen & protects his chickens to no end. He got her as a pup & raised her with the chickens. Well, I have always bragged on how smart she is & give her luvin every time I stop by sooooo.... I wound up with an early Christmas present!!! She's 8wks. old yesterday, AKC registered, I did that online last night so I don't have her papers back yet but I do have a copy of her parents paper's, Blue Heeler!!!!! Her name is Sugar & her registered name is "Barker's Blue Sugar". I fixed her a place in the feed room behind where my Banty's roost. Here are some pictures of her yesterday.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG].

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Quote:OMG!!!! That is adorable! [​IMG]

3. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    she is adorable.
    i hope she does well with the chickens.mine was not raised with them so i was a little worried.she only killed one when i first got the chickens and i scolded her.she is so sensitive and does not want to do anything wrong.she has never killed anymore and the chickens stay out during the day.now ,i have no doubt she would kill a chick without me or its mother standing nearby tho.she does an awesome job of protecting them from everything but hawks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  4. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    them be some good dogs

5. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Now that's a nice lookin dog you have!! Yes they are very, very smart & loyal dogs & I hope by raising mine with the chickens I can teach her to protect them. She's just 8wks. so her real trainin has yet to come but we have already got a pretty good bond between us. I let her out in the mornin at day break & she stays with me until bed time. She still holler's when I shut her up at night but I just ignore it but I've only had her for two days. She will consider the feed room her home in a few more days & quit all the squallin. If everything goes well, she will be loose in the yard with the chickens all the time & the feed room will stay open when she turns 6 months. We shall see.
    Quote:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    too cute [​IMG] heelers are great dogs definately farm dogs not city dogs.

7. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Welcome home SUGAR! That's so awesome, congrats!

8. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Congrats on your newest addition to your flock! The Head Hen already!

9. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    LOL, you got that right.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by