1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Early duck emergency

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jrleek, May 29, 2016.

1. jrleek

jrleek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    My daughter's 4th grade class has a very small incubator with 3 duck eggs in it. (This one https://www.beautyofbirds.com/rcom3egg.html) I have it home over the weekend in case they hatch early, as they are due on Tuesday. But one hatched today! Now I'm not very sure what to to do. (It's 2 sibling eggs are twitching, and one is peeping, but don't seem to be as excited to hatch as the first one.)

The duck hatched around 5pm, so it has been out of the egg for 4 hours. I understand it doesn't need to eat or drink for at least a day. The incubator instructions say I can leave it in there for 24 hours. The problem is that the incubator is so small that it can't stand in it, and the floor is slick plastic. It was trying to stand, and wasn't able to. I was afraid the slick floor would give it splay leg or something. So I stuck it in a cardboard box with a paper towel as the floor covering, under a heat lamp. Unfortunately, it still doesn't seem to be able to move around much. (It tries a bit, currently it seems to be sleeping.) So it can't move in and out of the heat lamp area on it's own. An infrared sensor says it's body facing the heat lamp is around 102 F currently, which seems a bit high, but it's probably a little cooler on the bottom (non-heated side.) I'm also worried about humidity, as we're in a dry climate.

Should I stick it back in the incubator, where at least it is temperature and humidity controlled? Or should I let it try to learn to walk in the brooder with the heat lamp? Water?

Jim

2. jrleek

Aug 19, 2011
    Well, it does at least seem to be scooting in and out of the heat lamp at will now. I put a stuffed animal in with it to keep it company since it's siblings don't look like they'll be out for a while yet.

3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Sometimes they don't move around a lot after they hatch. Try to make him cozy as best you can.

4. jrleek

Aug 19, 2011
    I suppose I'll add a water dish in the morning, and food as soon as the store opens. :|

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    You can provide some scrambled egg for food if you want, but they can easily live off the yolk they absorb for a couple of days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by