Early hatch and then no more pipping... Dry hatch? Too hot? Help save the panicing lady!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eksterhuis, Mar 15, 2012.

1. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    I have a batch of eggs due to hatch today, over the past 2 days I have had 8 hatch, all came out alright, had a bit of curly toes but have made booties and they overnight seem to already be coming right.

Just find it strange that I have had 8 hatch and then not even a pip from the rest for 24 hours!

The problem is I have another 20ish eggs in the incubator. I had to open and give it a bit of a clean as I had to remove the chicks last night and noticed this morning that the bit of egg residue was smelling incredibly bad, so cleaned that up and had a sneeky candle, I know I shouldn't have, but they don't look right.

In fact there are sort of 3 lots, some which look like they are about to pip but are still, some which look like you can see the outline of the chick, but they may be dead as in the past when I have candled overdue eggs (3 days over, they were all dark apart from a beak in the airsac, btw this chick hatched fine, but 4 days late, and was under a broody hen) and some eggs are all dark at one end and with a sort of bloody membrane around the airsac.

I am wondering what is going on! I think my temp may have been a bit high which caused my early hatch, but did this also kill everything else close to hatch? Are they still viable but as I can find no pictures of day 18-21 candled eggs on the internet I am just panicing?

I was using dry hatch method for the first time! I am also still new to using an incubator to hatch!

Any info would be super, as I am hoping to do another hatch soon after this and don't want to be killing my chicks, if that is indeed what I am doing!

Help! I am at work and panicing about what might be going on at home!!!

2. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    Any help or advice would be super, even if you think it is bad news!

3. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    you should leave that incubator locked down even if a chick is running around inside, they can survive for 3 days on the yoke and it's nice and warm in there. What is your lockdown humidity and you said dry hatch, what was your dry humidity

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    Dry was 15-25 now it is 65-80...

5. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    One chick had hatched 48 hours previous so had to open it up to get him out as he had been dry for 24 hours... Took them all out so I didn't need to open it again, expect it started smelling very very bad as the chicks had made quite an eggy mess which was smelling very vial...

6. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    Still not sure what's going on and would really love some help, esp as I am hoping to start another hatch next week and don't want to make the same mistakes twice!

7. meshellrose

meshellrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Arkansas
    you should've left the chick in there, they don't need taken out for 3 days

8. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    Having done a bit of research it looks like I ran the incubator 1 degree celcius too much combined with a bit too dry humidity...hence why everything hatched so early (with funny legs and belly buttons) and caused everything else to quit. The eggs were dead before I opened the incubator (24 after the last one hatched), and that is why nothing else was pipping.

So yes, I shouldn't have opened it, but on candling when it was open they were all dead, so it didn't in this case make any difference... I think it is why an egg burst when putting the bator into lockdown, which is what caused the smell for me to have to clean it too... I hate to think that it was my fault with it being run to hot, but I guess it's a learning curve, just a shame that that learning curve was with living chicks...

I guess I will just be a lot more attentive to temperature and humidity for my next hatch.

9. meshellrose

meshellrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Arkansas
    oh no, I'm sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by