1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Early hatch! One's out already!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by onemotherslove, Sep 11, 2010.

1. onemotherslove

onemotherslove Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I turned my eggs for the last time this morning, expecting Tuesday to be hatch day. As we were getting ready for bed tonight, I heard peeping!!! [​IMG] One of them hatched today! I have no idea what time or anything, but it was still pretty wet at 9:30pm (CST).

Now, an hour later, it's moving about the incubator, chirping like crazy, bumping all the other eggs around. I read to leave them in 24-hours to dry well. (this is my first hatch) Is this still good to leave him in tonight? I don't have the brooder set up yet because I wasn't expecting them until Tuesday....

Actually after tuesday, because these eggs have been through a lot! The hen was sitting on the nest outside when an opossum attacked. I heard it happen and ran out & got them while they were still warm. Then they were in the incubator when we lost electricity for 14 hours. I really didn't know if any would hatch.

What now? [​IMG]

2. onemotherslove

Dec 30, 2009
    North Central Texas
    [​IMG]
    Looking in through the incubator window, about 9:30pm CST

The thing is peeping so loudly, I don't know how my kids are sleeping through it... or how I'm gonna get to sleep!

3. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    you dont want to take it out till the 2nd one has hatched and is dry as it will be lonely and wont do well at all!
    I my opinion I have heard others say the same

AND also this baby cheeping like crazy in the bator will encourage all the others to hatch out !!!
    u may have another baby getting ready to hatch if it hasn't piped already it probably will be soon! I had 2 hatch early from mine!!

GOOD LUCK!! are u hatching RIR? Or what do you have?

4. onemotherslove

Dec 30, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Thanks for your reply!! This little chick must really be lonely, because it's been LOUD in here since the first peep! I can't tell that anything is going on with any of the other eggs. Is it correct that I shouldn't open the incubator for a better look?

I'm not really sure what I have - I think they're all muts! The hen that was sitting on the nest was a red/orange girl:

[​IMG]
    That's her. (Julia)
    And she somehow survived the opossum attack!

5. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    everybody has there own preferance.

I never leave my babies in the bator. I take them out as soon as I notice they hatch. They jump all over the other eggs and have killed the other eggs before so I just take mine out. But, I also have a brooder that I can set the heat on in there. I always leave them in there for the first 48 hrs. Then they get transferred into a cage with a heat lamp.

6. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    wow thats awesome glad to hear she's ok

Some one else may reply and say NO DO NOT OPEN bator! but I do and mine hatch out fine
    even after lockdown I will open and candle quickly to see how close they are to the air sac or take out a couple babies! or just inspect eggs to see if I have any more pips or where they are in their pip!!

IT is all up to you and what you want to do! OR what works best 4 you ! I do not however think the bator lid should be left open.
    I lift lid get egg and close candle and put egg back!

I do not have any trouble with temp or humidity flucuating!

7. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    I cant see all momma body but she looks like a Rhode Island red! Just by her coloring

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I'm thinking maybe a RIR/BO cross. I have one that looks like that. Her neck is truly orange.

I'm not very experienced at hatching yet, but i had a much better hatch when i left the lid on the 'bator until everyone was done hatching.

9. onemotherslove

Dec 30, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Quote:I'm thinking maybe a RIR/BO cross. I have one that looks like that. Her neck is truly orange.

I'm not very experienced at hatching yet, but i had a much better hatch when i left the lid on the 'bator until everyone was done hatching.

She's very orange compared to my others. The rest of my red ones are dark red.

What is BO?

10. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    BO = buff orpington [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by