Early hatch out

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HellyNelly, May 1, 2016.

1. HellyNelly

HellyNelly New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    Hi, I'm new to chicken keeping and to this site. Incubated 3 cream legbar, 3 exchequer and 6 cross/variety eggs in janoel 48.
    Day 19 and 2 cream legbars hatched, no sign of piping from other eggs, dry incubate until day 18 lockdown then humidity 76 roughly.
    Are the chicks ok to stay in incubator until other eggs hatch only they are moving the eggs about like footballs? Thank you

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC [​IMG]

It is normal for the already hatched chicks to kick the other eggs around. Opening the incubator may adversely affect the hatching of your other eggs. chicks can safely stay in the incubator for quite a long time, as they do not need to eat or drink for the first few days after hatching.

Check out the Hatching 101 article in the Learning Center, it is very helpful - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

3. HellyNelly

HellyNelly New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    Thanks for reply. Will check out article you suggested. No change in hatched numbers yet but still only day 20. :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - good luck with your hatch!

CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Often the cheeping and movement, inspire the others to begin hatching. Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]

7. HellyNelly

HellyNelly New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    Hi, thanks for all your good wishes. Only managed two chicks this time. Hubby opened others, 4 didn't hatch out and were dead, 6 weren't even fertile.
    Been back to breeder where we got legbar and exchequer eggs and purchased some more. Will try again :) Two little chicks doing well, one male one female, perfect breeding pair!!

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
  9. HellyNelly

HellyNelly New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    Very interesting - seems like we're lucky to hatch any at all! there is so much that can and does go wrong - never realised .
    Fingers crossed that new batch will be okay. Bonnie and Clyde are growing so quick!! :)

10. HellyNelly

HellyNelly New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update on last post, my Avatar is picture of Bonnie, turned out egg supplier had a Skyline in with Cream Legbars and she's laying blue eggs!! Hence, Bonnie is not a Legbar.
    Clyde is one beautiful Legbar Cockerel and he knows it!
    Bought another incubator- Brinsea and just managed to hatch 14 from 15 . Not bad eh?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by