Early Hatch

Amanda16

Songster
6 Years
Mar 1, 2017
Dewey, AZ
So we let my niece take one of our fertile eggs home because she wanted to see if she could get it to hatch,and at the time we still didnt have an incubator, and our hens hadn't gone broody. well she got it to to develop ant it only had a couple days left till hatch, but her littlest son got exited and broke the egg because he want to see the chick (i think he's 3). the little one still had it umbilical, and ended up bleeding out before they could do anything. i was wondering, if, in a situation like that,for future reference, if there is any way to save the little one (it was due to hatch in a couple days), should anything similar ever occur?

So we let my niece take one of our fertile eggs home because she wanted to see if she could get it to hatch,and at the time we still didnt have an incubator, and our hens hadn't gone broody. well she got it to to develop ant it only had a couple days left till hatch, but her littlest son got exited and broke the egg because he want to see the chick (i think he's 3). the little one still had it umbilical, and ended up bleeding out before they could do anything. i was wondering, if, in a situation like that,for future reference, if there is any way to save the little one (it was due to hatch in a couple days), should anything similar ever occur?

There's not much you can do once the membrane is torn and the veins are ruptured. If the shell alone is cracked, you can tape it up, and hope for the best. If there's a little blood, you can staunch it with corn starch. With a couple days left there's always a good chance that the yolk hasn't been absorbed, and if that's the case the chance for rupturing is high and almost always fatal if the majority of the yolk is still there. There is no good scenario for a chick that is not fully ready to hatch to have its home broke into.

Back
Top Bottom