Early Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Darin115, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I placed my eggs in the bator on January 31st at 11:00pm. They started pipping around 4:00pm. The first chick came out last night around 11:00pm. 3 made it out last night and 1 more was waiting on me this morning. Several more are trying to get into this world right now!!!

Wonder why they came early??

Darin

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    That makes them 1 day early - not enough to be considered early [​IMG] Just enjoy them! Happy chicking. (higher temps can bring them early, lower temps can bring them late)

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Wow that is early temp has a lot to do with it i keep my temp at about 100 but some times even a temp of 101 will make a diff. in hatch time a few of the smaller breeds have been know to hatch early. As long as the chicks are healthy and happy all is well. one other thing that might be possable is the temp the eggs were held at before you set thelm may cause an early hatch. if i counted right that was 19 days most time mine star on day 20 to 22. so your not far out there at all. congrads on your hatch....

4. Darin115

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    They are still coming!!! My kids are staring at the bator. Calling me at work every 20 minutes. I just had another one out.

By the way I count it is day 20 today. 21 will be tomorrow. I had 2-3 on day 19 and the rest on day 20.

Starting them at 11:00pm kinda messed me up.
    This is starting to get addictive. My wife has never had anything to do with the chickens. Now she is naming them as they come out. She said she was going to pick her one out to keep but I think she has decided to keep them all.

Darin

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

are they bantams? my bantams hatch on day (late) 19 or (early) 20.

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

A day early is not that bad. Welcome to a very addictive hobby.

7. Darin115

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    No they are not bantams. They are buff rocks from McMurrary Hatchery. I got them last year and am hatching my own this year.
    I think have called them Godlen Buffs but I think they are buff rocks.
    I don't remember what the actual name was.

Some are black sex links and the buff rock roo.

I guess the thermometer was reading wrong. My buddy hatched a day early as well. His read 98 the entire time.

I think I will pick up a digital thermometer and see what happens the next time.

Darin

8. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:I'm sorry .... but a day early is not good. The chicks will be prone to early death, they may not have fully absorbed the yolk, and a multitude of other problems.

Usually you get away with it, but it is a problem that should be corrected.

9. Darin115

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    They look healthy to me. But what do I know??? This is my first time.

Darin

10. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I think that would make them 12 hrs early not 24, so your temps were running just a tad high. If the chicks look ok and are healthy and big and fluffy, there is no ill affects to them being early. This is your first time hatching? bet it wont be your last [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by