early hatched chick found dead ,concerned about others

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gibbychicks, Apr 26, 2008.

1. gibbychicks

gibbychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Help, my broody hen is sitting on three eggs, started with eight, only three were good after candeling. I went out to check on her in my back porch,and found a dead baby chick in the pen with her. No shell just the chick,and it was out of the nest.
    The eggs are due to hatch on Monday, but I'm concerned about what happened to the chick. Did the hen accidentaly step on it? Did she peck at the egg till it broke?? Will she peck at the others?

Should I keep the other two eggs in with her?(I have three wooden eggs in with her as well,I put them in there when I took the other five out after candleing)

I'm not set up with an incubator so I don't know what to do?? HELP!!

Donna

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I have no advice, sorry, but how is it going? Is the hen behaving?

3. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    Was the chick fully formed and have it's yolk sac absorbed?

Maybe it hatched too early and died and mama pushed it out of the nest to keep her other eggs safe?

The missing egg shells could have been eaten by your broody.

Sometimes I think the hens know when something is amiss and they take care of it. Hopefully that's what has happened here.

How are things going now? I would keep a close eye on her in case she killed the chick......you would't want to lose the others too.

I would take the wooden eggs out so that she will tend to her babies when they are born instead of being stuck sitting on wooden eggs........

4. gibbychicks

gibbychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the reply. The chick was fully developed, I assume that the yolk sac was absorbed. The chick looked as though it had been pecked at a bit, but that was probably from the mom pecking to get the shell off??

I am hoping that the mom knew that something was wrong with the chick and that's why she got rid of it.

Do hens ever kill all the chicks after they hatch?

Today things seem ok. We can hear the chicks peeping and there is even a pip in one egg.

I am watching her carefully, but it's hard to watch the eggs when they are under her. That leads me to another question, will the hen get off the eggs when they begin to hatch of will she just stay on them? We would love to be able to watch them hatch, but not sure if the mom needs to stay on them to keep them warm while they are hatching.

We were really hoping to have at least three chicks (We have three kids) I have talked to a local feed mill who said thay would sell me one chick, that is if we don't loose any others, to put in with the other two. Do you think the hen would accept another chick?

This is my first time hatching eggs so any info you can give me is appriciated!

5. Tyaloria

Tyaloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Worcester UK
    I've just discovered a silkie 4 days early in my incubator. The yolk is semi there but I've wrapped the poor little thing up and lightweight cotton in the brooder just in case.
    Very sad :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by