Early hatched chick has intestines out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickengirl30, Nov 3, 2015.

1. chickengirl30

chickengirl30 New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    So yesterday morning around 9am my eggs that are incubating were at day 20, and I had an early hatcher! It worked it's way out of the shell in a very odd fashion, not the typical zipping...pecked at the air cell around her. Now, this morning, I saw she was out of the shell, broke the un absorbed yolk, and has intestines out. I've tried putting them back in but to no avail will it work. I've got a bandaid over it, and she seems to be fighting for her life! Chirps, and tries to move. She looks much earlier then the 20th day yesterday. I was waiting on my husband to get home so he could cull her since I don't have the heart, but I've found I'm trying to help her since she seems to be "trying". Is there anything in particular I can do to try and put intestines back in, or just wait it out? I've currently got her on a towel under a light, and gave a few droplets of water, but I also noticed she may have a "cleft" inside on the top of her beak?! Is this possible?!

She also is not drying out, it is hard, sticky and I know just how many odds are against us...I guess hoping for a miracle?!!!

2. Saris

Saris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    *hugs

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    she probably doesn't have a cleft, it is probably normal beak, I have seen people say "my chick has a fork at the back of her tongue should I clip it off?"

As far as your chick goes, normally what happens is the chicks first breath is inside its shell when it pokes the membrane, breathes the air cell, then pokes a hole outer shell day 20 or so and rests before finishing coming out of the egg day 21. when a chick pokes hole they are breathing oxygen that causes the draw of the intestines, some people, not saying you, mistakingly think "oh, a hole in the egg it is ready to hatch I am going to help", then they open an egg and well you get the picture. in your case where it poked the wrong end the chick it also probably poked a blood vessel and made it bleed some, I think when that happens the body shuts down the growing process to concentrate that bloody spot.

If I was going to suggest, I would say keep it warmer than a brood box hand warmer or heating pad is better, and do not remove the shell off the body if you can. maybe put chick in a sock to keep chick and shell together. good luck.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by