early hatcher in peril?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowlwoman1, Aug 14, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    Today I went to put the eggs in the hatcher that are due to hatch 8/16. I thought I'd candle them one last time before putting them in. The first egg I suspected was dead, but the second had already pipped through the inner membrane and chirped at me! I just about had a heart attack! I zoomed the batch of eggs out to the hatcher. The humidity in my large incubator has been only about 40% most of the time, and last night it ran out of water so this morning it was down to 14%. I am just hoping that the humidity in the hatcher is high enough. There is a teeny bit of condensation on the windows. There is less this evening than there was this afternoon. Any advice or experience? Thanks!

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I have had a bunch hatch early in the incubator, due to my miscalculations or being out of town or whatever reason. Just be sure to keep an eye on it in case you need to assist it getting out. Don't be too quick to help it, but keep a close eye on it. If it can't get through the tough membrane and stays in the egg for an extended amount of time, they come out with bad legs and crooked necks and such. If you need anymore help holler.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    My last hatch pipped in the evening on day 18, they were fine. I wouldn't worry about it. It's all good [​IMG]

Krista

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    As far as the humidity...if there is condensation on the glass, your humidity is probably too high. It really doesn't need to be more than 50-55% during hatching. I know that some folks use higher numbers, but when I did that...my chicks drowned in their eggs because they didn't lose enough water.

I put a little water in my bator in the evening which puts the humidity at about 50%. It steadily declines over 24 hours and runs about 30% for probably 12 hours or so. By the time evening comes again, it may be as low as 22%.

Better a little bit too low than too high!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by