1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Early hatcher question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by E.M. Silkies, Nov 22, 2010.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    So my eggs went into lockdown yesterday afternoon. This morning--I would venture a guess at about 10--one started hatching. The temp in the incubator went up to about 101 for a while. It was peeping last night so we knew the temp was too warm. If a higher temp causes and early hatch, are the early hatchers fully developed and capable of hatching? I watched it for nearly and hour debating on whether to help it or not, but I didn't want to compromise the other eggs. I believe it died after about 45 minutes because it stopped moving. Thoughts? Opinions? I guess I'm feeling like I should have helped it but was concerned about opening the bator. What should I do if that happens in the future?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Better off not helping. Helping one hurts the rest. Early hatchers should do just fine. He still has a good chance of hatching. They take breaks an can sometimes take days to hatch.

3. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks so much. That gives me some hope for him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by