Early Hatchers and I do not know what breed they are

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HannahZuni, Mar 5, 2017.

1. HannahZuni

HannahZuni Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2017
    My chicks were suppose to start hatching tomorrow, but I got 4 that hatched TODAY! How long should I keep them in the incubator till I take them out and put them with a heat lamp? Plus I got a mix set so I do not know what they are. I know the rules of lock down but I am not sure that they can survive till Wednesday. Also what would be the best thing to feed them, and at what age can I start bring them outside? I am trying not to kill them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Take the chicks and locate them in a brooder with a heat lamp. Read up on setting up a brooder on threads here. Important not to overheat the chicks. Maintain the temperature as suggested. Also too early to take outside (I am assuming outdoors) unless you are where the temps are in the 95 Degree Fahrenheit range. Feed them chick starter crumbles. If you can than opt for the medicated variety as it will prevent coccidiosis . Provide water for them but be ware not to have a container that they can drown in. You can prevent that by filling the bottom of container with marbles or pebbles.
    WISHING YOU BEST.. and [​IMG]

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Have you read the article/thread about brooding with a heating pad? This is a much more natural and safer way to brood chicks. Much less risk of overheating them.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

If you have your brooder set up, and the right temp, you can open the bator long enough to snatch those babies out. Just be sure things don't dry out when you open it. What is your humidity? And are there any new pips? You might want to spray a bit of water on the walls of the bator when you open it if you can do so safely.

There are many articles in the learning center on raising chicks. Those will help you.

4. HannahZuni

HannahZuni Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2017
    We have had 5 hatch and 1 suffocate. My humidity is staying around 70% but some friends had chicks that are about 3 days old and they had too many. I have 2 more chicks trying to get out but 1 is having a very hard time getting out. Should I try to help it or leave it.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Go to the learning center, Hatching eggs 101, and read the information about assisted hatching.

6. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Read the instructions on helping very carefully. I had to do it with two eggs that got messed up when a marauding chick knocked the incubator thermometer out of place and a heat wave in the incubator helped shrinkwrap the remaining chicks. They were successfully saved and survived to be healthy pullets- as it turned out, the only two pullets in the group of 6!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by