early hatching, bloody navel, hen hatch

Here is a photo of the 1st chick (to survive). I got a glimpse of the black one under Mama, but he's not coming out. The white one is hot, it's got to be at least 100 in that coop, so she is out. Also, I got the brooder set up complete with water park and a condo!

So, my incubator chicks are starting to hatch. About 24 hours early. I woke up this morning and one had a 1/2" hole. 12 hours later it's exactly the same. I examined it and found hardened bubbles - like the chick had been breathing through the mucus. I carefully broke off the hard bubbles, and the chick was still breathing and moving the mucus. I broke off a few shell shards and gently squeezed the shell and it formed a crack around the egg, to give it some help. A tiny bit of blood came out and I left it alone. No drips.

2 hours later, no change. I hope it didn't die!!

I have 2 others starting now, and I'm hearing many more peeps out of these. I broke a couple of shards off for good measure, but didn't break the membrane.

Any more advice about the hatch? I know I should leave them alone, and I'm trying. I think my first chick needed some help, and I hope I did it right. I know the membrane needs to dry out on it's own, like an umbilical.

Thanks!!

Here's a picture of my poor chickie. The one at the bottom is the chick I'm trying to save. I did all the cracking, the entire pipping hole was crusty. The membrane has separated in a few places and no blood is coming out but when I gently squeeze, a slimy bubble of bloody gunk comes out at the hole. I guess I'll leave it alone tonight, that seems to be about the best I can do for now, unless anyone has any suggestions...?

The one near the top has been hatching for about 3 hours. I can see chickie's eyes and it is kicking and chirping a lot. Moving well, not stuck, that one will be fine.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom