Early hatching??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flowerchicks, Jul 16, 2011.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    OK, I have 2 hens that went broody around the same time, so I decided to give them some eggs to sit on. They have been sharing 5 eggs since 6/28. On Thursday evening, while I was checking for eggs, I found one of the eggs I gave them in the middle of the coop. It was cold, but I knew there was a chick in there, so I figured I would rather be safe than sorry, and put it back under the hens. Tonight, while lifting the girls to check for fresh eggs (the other girls insist on laying in their broody spot), I kept hearing chirping. I looked and looked, but no chick. I wasn't expecting a chick, but I know I heard one. I got a flashlight and, sure enough, an egg is hatching. What is more interesting than the fact it is 3 days early, I am pretty sure it is the egg I put back 2 days ago. They are sitting on eggs from 3 different hens, and I marked them all with the date and the first initial of the hen who laid them. What would cause a chick to hatch early? Has anybody else had an egg that had not been incubated long enough to be cold, hatch? This is only my 2nd broody hatching, so I am clueless [​IMG]

2. bluesuedepoultry

bluesuedepoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Heart of Dixie
    Sometimes eggs under a broody will hatch in 20 days instead of 21 , or if the temp is hotter than 99.5 will hatch early.

3. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Quote:That is why I am confused, the weather has been unusually cool (50's at night, 80's during the day) and this egg was left unattended for who knows how long, and yet it is hatching early. I am concerned that the hens will give up on the other eggs before they hatch now that they have a chick to attend to. Guess I will find out in 2-3 days...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by