1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Early hatchling!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sylviaanne, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Crowing

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I bought and put 15 Silkie eggs in my LG fan/egg turner incubator. So as not to run it half empty, I put 19 of my mixed breed eggs in with them. Two of my eggs came from under my broody duck but I didn't think they had been there long and she hadn't been sitting on them for long, maybe a couple of days, max 4 days.

Ok, now, an egg had broken in the nest and these 2 eggs were very nasty so, as an experiment, I washed them with diluted bleach water and then rinsed them off. I forgot to put in my notes how hot the water was but I don't remember using gloves so I guess it wasn't extremely hot, plus I think I knew there was a chance they would be fertile and had a chance that they could have started to develop.

I put the eggs in the incubator on the 10th, one of the washed eggs has hatched at day 15! I have a tiny black chick! Obviously, this egg was older than I thought. The chick seems perfectly healthy but it is on the egg turner and I don't have any chicks close to it's age or size. I don't want to leave it on the egg turner but I also don't want it to be alone.

I am hoping the other egg is almost ready to hatch also but if not, suggestions?

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Sometimes people put a stuffed animal in with a lonely chick and they say it helps. I'd take the chick out and put it in a brooder with a stuffed animal and hope that another chick hatches soon.

3. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Crowing

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Yes! I had forgotten reading this. Thank you.
    It was a little confused at first but then it cuddled right up to the tiny teddy.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  4. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  5. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Crowing

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Yes, I have subscribed to several threads and people but not nearly enough. I am trying to learn everything and I have found some people here are hilarious! Not at all like my crochet group or Yorkie group.

6. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Haha. Yeah, the fish forum that I'm on is very small and not much happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: