Early Layer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by starforever61, Aug 19, 2010.

1. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    One of my Isa brown hens who has been laying for seven months has started laying her eggs very early in the morning. I don't have a problem with this, it's just that she's so lazy that she won't get her fat butt over to the nesting boxes and lays right on the roosting pole and the egg breaks. I don't want them to start eating their eggs when they see this, though. Also, it's really killing my egg business. It's not a big business, but that one egg every day really adds up. This started a week ago. Last night I moved them to the nesting boxes to sleep and sure enough, they all layed in the nesting box.

Since I don't want to move them to the nest boxes every night, should I take down the roosting pole? I'm open to suggestions. [​IMG] Thanks so much in advance! [​IMG]

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Put a pillow under her

3. starforever61

Aug 1, 2009
    Lol really? I'm not really sure which hen is doing it though. I have a rough idea of who it is. But hey, it's worth a shot!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sleeping in the nestboxes is eventually going to lead to poop covered eggs.
    Are your roosts higher than your nestboxes? Is there something about the nestboxes that's bothering them? For instance, if the chickens have spotted a snake in their boxes, they will tend to avoid that box for a long while. Look at your nestboxes for the source of the problem.

5. starforever61

Aug 1, 2009
    Nothing wrong with the nest boxes, but the roost is the same height as the boxes. Should I change that?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes. You want your roosts higher than your nestboxes. Reason being, chickens instinctively want to go as high as possible to roost at night (to provide themselves with some protection from predators, in their mind, nevermind that you have them in a safe coop). If you have your nestboxes as high or higher than your roosts, they are likely to prefer sleeping in the nestboxes.
    Also, what are your roosts made of? Round roosts can cause foot problems for the chickens over time. A chicken doesn't like to have to grasp with their feet all night. They prefer to grab on and get stable with their feet, but then release their grasp and rest on the keel bone (chest). 2 x 4s with the 4 or wider side up work great because they allow the chickens to do this.

7. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    Quote:I have one that does the same thing and I can't figure out which one it is either, but mine is older I do know that.

I don't think the roost height has anything to do with it as she is on the roost and doesn't get down to go to the nest to lay her egg (my roosts are higher than my nest)

8. starforever61

Aug 1, 2009
    Okay, so the roosts aren't the problem here, should I use the pillow then?

9. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    i personally like the pillow idea at least your eggs wont breakor if you have any old clothes that you want to get rid of i would just lie it under the roost so you dont put it in the wrong spot. im sure they dont mean to lay from the roost

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by