Early laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Madformarans, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Madformarans

Madformarans Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2014
    Buckinghamshire
    Hi I have 9 hens in my small backyard flock. They are comprised of: 1 wheaten Maran,1copper black Maran, 1 silver laced Poland, 1 white capped Poland, these were my original babies, I hatched 5 chicks last year and they are all pullets, 3 copper black Marans abd 2 Buff Orpingtons.
    My 2 adult Marans raised these chicks themselves and then moulted, I was not expecting them to come back into lay until February or March; however, first the Marans started laying in December and now the Polands have started. I don't artificially light the coop as I believe in nature deciding when they lay, is anyone else getting early eggs

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

First Happy New Year and [​IMG] glad to have you onboard [​IMG]

My hens haven't stopped laying this year it is a good year [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

3. Madformarans

Jan 1, 2014
    Buckinghamshire
    Thank you and a Happy New Year to you too, I checked the pelvic bones on my 23 week old Pullets and the gap is 2 fingers and their combs are growing rapidly so I'm hoping for more eggs soon. The difference in egg colour between the marans and the Poland looks great in an egg box

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

Some breeds lay thru the winter and others don't. Some lay infrequently and others never stop. Great that you are getting eggs!

Enjoy BYC!

5. Madformarans

Jan 1, 2014
    Buckinghamshire
    Thank you for your spectacular welcome. I'm in England UK outside London not far from Heathrow airport, I've kept Marans for many years and they've always stopped laying in th winter, hence my surprise this winter when eggs appeared. As always I'm excited with the prospect of first eggs from pullets that I've hatched. What breeds do you keep? I'm hoping the weather won't put my girls off laying, it's rained for ages here. My name is Andrewvby the way :)[\B]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Seems like a good year in some places, some of mine have been laying steadily this winter, new pullets starting up also which is nice.

8. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Welcome to BYC and Happy New Year! [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe your hens just wanted to give you early Xmas presents - how thoughtful of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by