Early little buggers - they are hatching

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Apr 22, 2012.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I went into school today to take out the turner, add more water and get them ready for hatching on Wednesday.
    DH came with me. He says, Uh oh, some isn't right with that egg.
    I thought, "crap, another egg exploded??" and asked if it was chicken or duck.
    He said "oh, it looks like it has a hole in it"

Um... one egg had a hole in it with a chirping little duckling pecking away working his way out.
    Crap.
    Unplug the turner. Call a coworker of DH's and ask about letting them hatch in the turner with it turned off. It wasn't level. We chanced it and got everything set up on the table, removed the lid, pulled the turner, quickly got the eggs into the bator and closed it back up again. DH added water while I put the eggs back in. Was open less than a minute.

Got some stuff done at school to get them ready for being out of the bator and then went to the store to get the rest of the stuff we'd need. Came back and get stuff set up and another breaks through.
    When we left, there were 2 with holes in the shells with ducks actively working on breaking out and 5 more had started.

I set 22 eggs. 21 are still in there now.
    I'd been saying as I'd candled them that about 7 of them looked odd - like they were further along. Guess they were!
    So I think we'll have a staggered hatch anyway as I think they managed to incubate while the person I got them from was collecting them over a few days.
    Back to work tomorrow for me (and I'm on vacation for the week) to check on them.

(#22 was the second one to make a good hole - he was chipping away like crazy when we left. Saw a tiny bit of blood at the edge of the hole and on top of his bill though - I'm thinking that is normal?)
    [​IMG]

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Looks like you're going to have a great hatch! Congratulations! (I don't know about the blood on the shell - hopefully someone else who knows more will respond)

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can hardly wait for pics... [​IMG]

5. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    One was totally out and dry this morning when our director went in. She opened the incubator ignoring the big ol sign on it that says "DO NOT OPEN INCUBATOR"
    She sees 3 more bills pecking away and hears lots of noise in there.
    I'll go in after another one is totally out and put those 2 into the brooder.... or bring those 2 home.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    What we saw when we got there tonight. This little guy was still trying his hardest to get out when we left after about an hour and a half. Very neat to watch. Kids thought it was cool. Parents thought it was really neat too.

#4 there was well on his way out as well, but was still working on getting his head out - he'd get it part way out and then pull it back in again.
    Of the 21 eggs in there, 9 had done something so far. Some of the ones we'd noticed had a pip in them yesterday had no change yet.

I brought home the 3 that were out and dry (the only ones out). When I snagged them out of the bater, I snagged the first guy to pip yesterday. He was dead in his shell and hadn't made progress from yesterday afternoon when we'd last checked on him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

That was SO awesome!! Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by