Early Lockup

tenderkat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Foothills west of Denver
I have had my chickens since June, and so far I have somehow managed to make sure I'm home every evening to lock them up in their coop on time. This evening we will be away from home very late, and I don't have anybody close available to lock them in. Although their run is very secure, I have no intention of underestimating the abilities of hungry predators, and I don't feel comfortable just leaving the popdoor open. Normally, the girls are in to bed right around dusk. We are leaving a few hours before dusk, so I am thinking about just putting them in their house and locking it up early tonight. It is a 4x8 coop, housing my 6 chickens. I feel it is better to be safe than sorry, but I don't know if my chickens will be in there early, freaking out, wondering why they are locked up when it is still light outside. Okay to do this?

No they'll be just fine-don't worry.

When the weather is really bad and stormy(during the day) I make mine go in the coop til weather passes. By all means, put them up before you leave-for their safety and your piece of mind.
big_smile.png

Lock 'em up. They'll be happy enough in there. I put mine in if I know I'm not going to be back before nightfall.

You might not be so happy chasing them all in though. Ever heard of herding cats? It's got nothing on herding chickens.

I personally give mine access to coop and pen from dusk till dawn, but I'm lucky that I can do that.

But I don't think they'll suffer from being confined to the henhouse a few hours earlier. They'll probably rest. If you're worried they'll be bored, you can put out a head of lettuce or cabbage for them to play with/peck at. It's better to be safe than sorry, and they'll be fine with it
smile.png

Yup, they'll be fine and they'll all still be alive when you get back. I lock mine up if I'm leaving in the late afternoon. I just put a flake of alfalfa in there for them to scratch apart and pick out the leaves, or anything else that will occupy them for a bit before they go to roost.

Our last hurricane down here in Florida, we had tropical storm winds then the hurricane, and mine were locked in their 4 x 8 coop for 3 days. They did just fine.

Back
Top Bottom