1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Early Mallard Eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jgell, Feb 12, 2012.

1. jgell

jgell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Avondale
    It has been a warm winter here in south eastern PA and I think it has thrown off some biologic duck clocks. I put out my duck boxes last weekend because the weather was so nice and I had been seeing some extra wood ducks and mallards on the pond. I have two pair of each which are permanent residents. Yesterday I found two eggs in the mallard box that had been visited by my anconas. I figured they might be ancona eggs but a third egg appeared while the anconas were penned up. The irony of the situation is that last night was one of the coolest of the winter with temperatures in the teens. Will that destroy the viability of the eggs? Will that change her mind about laying eggs? Temperature will be back into the 50's by mid-week. Is mid-February really strange for mallards to start laying? This time last year there was 6 inches of ice on most of the pond. This is only my 2nd breeding season with these guys so I'm not sure what is considered "normal".

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It's normal my mallards have also begun laying right now. I don't believe it will destroy viability and I doubt she will change her mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by