1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

early molt ? or ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jsprad, Feb 4, 2012.

1. jsprad

jsprad New Egg

Feb 4, 2012
    2 out of 5 hens losing feathers around neck and back. All are 10 months old. Is that too early to molt? All still laying well. Weather has been very unseasonable. Anybody have any suggestions? they dont seem to be picking.
    Thanks much

2. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop

do you have a rooster? it could be he's been busy pulling feathers while attempting to mate.

3. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Same here 2 out of 7 started molting in October got their feathers. Then 4 lost their feathers in December and haven't gotten their feathers back in. All bear back some losing around the neck area. I don't have a rooster checked for bugs but couldn't find any. I dusted with sevin after a good clean out of coop/run today because I think it's mites. Wish I could help you but I'm in the same boat it seems :rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by