Early molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scooter147, Aug 27, 2010.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Most of my flock has started molting. This seems way to EARLY. Generally it starts late Sept. through Oct. I've been doing this for 40 years and I can't remember this early of a molt.
    Anyone else experiencing this?
    Hope it doesn't mean a early and cold winter [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My adult flock is in the middle of a molt too. They are 28 months old. It's their second adult molt.

3. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    I've been thinking for almost a week now that mine are going through a "mini molt". I was getting 8-10 eggs a day from 11 girls, and all of a sudden that has dropped to 4-6 a day as of a week ago. Mine are 8 months old and I remember reading that they might go through a mini molt at around 8 months. Today I noticed a very large number of loose feathers from my 3 dominiques in the run (much more noticable than at any other time), so I'm starting to think they are molting. I also haven't seen my 2 black australorps in the nest boxes in over a week (but no black feathers; just the dominique feathers in the run). I wouldn't call it "cold" here, but this whole week the weather has been unusually mild compared to prior weeks and compared to the average temps for August in GA.

4. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Ya know mine have been in molt for like a month. Its been hot and muggy and just this week its been a nice 75-80. I dont know whats going on. So the egg eaters pluss the molt, is not making me or my mom happy with the chickens! I wonder if we are going to have a cold winter? I am in WIsconsin so it should be getting cold soon any way.
    This is just so weird.

Chicken Girl

5. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Oh and i havent heard my roos crow in like 2 weeks!!! What is going on!?

Chicken Girl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by