early mornin cali

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pooh731, Aug 14, 2011.

1. pooh731

pooh731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    so yesterday morning our ameracana rooster crowed for the first time at 6:30, so we set the alarm for 6:00 today in an effort to beat him to the punch cause one of my neighbors loves ALL animals EXCEPT roosters. but he went off at 5:45 this a.m. . so we ran outside to open the coop but he wouldn't stop, it appeared that he was talkin to a couple of other roo's about a half mile away, so after about the 10th crow I had wifey give him a good slap on the nose. he immediately stopped and started pouting. The other roo's around continued but he is staying quiet. It is a shame because his voice is as pretty as he is. Do you think we will have to do this every day or will he catch on that he needs to be quiet. He is smart,he knows his name, does tricks, and comes when he is called,etc... . I like chicken soup but don't wanna kill my roo.

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Roo's crow. Its part of their rooster nature. You really cant stop it, anymore than you can stop a cat from meowing.

3. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Unless it is illegal to own roos where you llive I would just let him do his thing. I am sure your neighbor can be bought off with fresh eggs. After a while you don't notice the crowing anymore.

4. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    the others are still going but our 'mellow' is still quiet, foraging with the girls. I don't think we have any anti-roo laws but we do have nuisance rules. I'm hopin he is as smart as he appears to be..... he's still ignoring those other birds.... atta boy mellow!!!

5. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    It worked!!!! this morning he was quiet as a mouse! so I met him at the door with his favorite treats and we are both very happy with each other. I knew he was a smart cookie!!

6. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    2nd morning that our mellow boy didn't crow. 'way to go mellow', so he got his favorite treat hamburger meat.... yummy

7. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Let's see... who has who trained?[​IMG] Just kidding, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

8. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    yes i agree, i think my roo just trained me and my husband.

9. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    [​IMG] atta boy 'mellow'!!!!! 3rd morning in a row.... no crowing... more treats... feeling a little smug with myself having trained the roo' not to crow. trying not to break my arm as I pat myself on the back!!! lol not really ... mellow gets all the credit and the treats!ยก!

10. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    Today my 'mellow' crowed really early this morning because the other roo's in the neighborhood went off early so he was answering them. W hen my husband open the door to there coop he nor the girls want to come out not even fir their favorite treat raw hamburger meat. So sad 'mellow'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by