Early morning attack, Please help!

Pics

hispoptart

Free Ranging
12 Years
Apr 14, 2011
NW Colorado
I did a big NO NO! last night and did not lock up the coop. I woke up about 5:15 this morning and then about 5:30 I heard one of the girls squawking. I went out to look and Marty was walking behind the coop squawking. I didn't think much of it other then it was strange. I didn't see anything around. About 15 min later the other girls were squawking too. So again I went out and that's when I saw all the feathers on the ground and Marty lying on the ground on her side. I rushed to her and picked her up, her eyes were open but her head flopped around. Not like a spasm, just when I tilt her to look her over it flops to that side.

I brought her inside and looked her over really well and there are no visible wounds anywhere on her. She lays on her side with her legs and feet stretched out. Her breathing is quite shallow. If I try to stand her she her feet and legs are stiff, but she will just fall over if I let go of her. Right now she is laying in a box wrapped in a towel with a heating blanket underneath the box. She has not moved on her own since this happened. She appears to be dead, but if you try to pick her up she will kick a little with her feet and open her eyes, but her head still flops around.

Is there anything more I can do for her? Is she just in shock so bad that she's playing dead? Or does it sound like she's just going to pass away? I feel so bad, all I want to do is cry. What makes it the worst is I know this was all my fault. Someone Please help,
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @aart @azygous @21hens-incharge @007Sean

Were pretty sure it was a raccoon that got to them, Sorry for the long post, I will post pics and a video now. Thanks in advance.

Print we found

IMG_20190728_063454649.jpg

Marty

IMG_20190728_062027363.jpg

IMG_20190728_061446209.jpg

IMG_20190728_061457699.jpg

Video

Last edited:
:hugs I'm so sorry to hear about Marty.

I would roll up another thick towel to try to prop her up/support her head a little.
She has no visible injuries/wounds to the neck/head?

I think you are doing all you can for her at this time, keeping her warm and quiet, she may be in shock and will eventually come out of it.
Since she seems out of it, I would wait a little while to see if she comes around, then give her a little warmed sugar water or electrolytes. Carefully, I do wonder if she will be able to swallow. Don't worry about food at all.

Yes, she's in shock. Keep her warm and get some electrolites in her. Sav-a-chick, pedialite, gatorade, etc. Dip her beak or drop some in the front of her beak while you support her head, small amounts .5 cc at a time or less, and let her swallow. Alternate with room temperature water (all fluids should be room temp to slightly warm, not cold). Give her some time to recover while keeping her hydrated. A dim, quiet room. Time will tell. Raccoons will grab them and try to pull them through fence sometimes, so hard to say what kind of injuries she has, may just be muscular and pulls and sprains, but really sore regardless. Once she's more alert you can use a chicken sling if necessary for periods to keep her upright, or use a rolled up bath towel to help support her head/neck while she's on the ground. I will often use several towels rolled up for support, on the sides of her or in a donut shape.

I'm so sorry for you and little Marty. Please don't be so hard on yourself. So many of us have had chickens injured or die because we made a mistake. We're human, not gods.

Marty's acting shocky, if not injured in an inconspicuous manner. You've done well to warm her and keep her in a quiet place, but giving her warm sugar water laced with electrolytes (Gatoraid) should help to revive her.

However, she could be injured on her spinal column and the injuries just aren't apparent. Do what you can to keep her warm, hydrated, and calm and safe. She has a good chance of coming out of this okay.

Thank you everyone!!! I really hope she can pull through, I will go to the feed store right now to see if they have save-a-chick. If not I'll get some Gatorade. I don't have a syringe but if the feed store doesn't have one, I work at the hospital and I'm sure someone there will give me one. I just went to check on her and when I touched her feet she kind of kicked and flopped around like she was trying to get away, so that's got to be a good sign right :fl? Also I will get more towels to roll up and fashion a nest for her so her head is supported better. Thanks again everyone, you all are wonderful!!!! :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

Ok, the feed store had everything I needed :) I'm getting ready to take her out of the box so I can make more of a nest for her to lay in. She's still really out of it so should I wait to try and give her some of the save-a-chick?
@Wyorp Rock I'm sorry, I didn't answer your question about wounds. No I can't find ant wounds at all, not blood either.

Ok I've made her a nest, Now that I've calmed down a bit and have her head supported it does appear that her feathers were torn away from the side of her face. But all the skin is intact. Should I keep the towel over her or not? I want her to feel safe but not feel like she can't move.

Here are some more pics,

IMG_20190728_092654836.jpg

IMG_20190728_092736862.jpg

IMG_20190728_092725790.jpg

Looks to be a bit of injury around the ear area, maybe a bit of shavings in it? I wouldn't stress her out right this minute, but once she's looking a little better I'd clean that up, make sure no dirt or shavings are stuck, and maybe put a bit of plain neosporin on it. She looks a tad bit better to me already, hope she improves with a bit of time and care.

Back
Top Bottom