Early Morning Visitor

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Whirlwind, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Hey all. For those of you who have had hawk problems beware. The hawk always comes back to see if he can get an easy meal. I have lost 2 hens this last year to the red tailed hawks here. Well this morn. my DH is looking out the window and sees Mr Hawk land right in front of the coop. [​IMG]
    The girls are not up yet and still on their perch. He can't get in as coop is critter tight { thanks to my Brilliant DH}. 1/2 inch wire and wood. Whew!!!! Guess the girls won't get out to free range for a few days unless I am out there with them. The run is critter safe also. They really think they are being punished everytime they don't get their daily free range time.

At least I am luckier than some of you who have to deal with the dom. predator
    "Dogs" who have stupid owners.

PS. I would never shoot a hawk as he is just doing what hawks do and of course it is illeagal.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, he is looking for a feed hu? Guess you better give them girls a special treat since they cant come out to play. Even with you right there, the Hawk WILL attack. Doesnt matter. I have read posts of a hawk taking chicks right in front of the person. UGH!! I would freak out! My roos are forever watching the sky's and there are plenty shrubs and trees for the hens to get under. Be safe!

3. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Will a hawk try to get full grown chickens? I can see a bantam, but can it get far with a full grown chicken in it's claws? [​IMG]

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    OMG! I had one yesterday come swooping down right behind my neice head on the swing set. My chicken run in right behind it and it got caught in the netting that covers the top. My dad said the chicken went screaming for the coop. Matt said Zaxby the roo was the first one inside! lol Chicken!!
    The hawk was caught in the net about 5 minutes flopping around trying to get its claws unhooked from the netting. I was thinking yesterday when I got home about letting them out for a couple hours. But I had that little feeling you get when something isn't right and I didn't let them out. Thank god I listen to that voice telling no not today.

5. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Well my golden comet was gone. Just a few feathers. My DH and DS and I looked everywhere for her. She was probably around 4.5 to 5 lbs. Now my BR was about 7 to 7.5 lbs and he did'nt get far with her and we took her back and barried{spelling} her. So yes they will take a full grown chicken.

PoisonIvy, yep I get that feeling sometimes too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  6. CHICKYDEB

CHICKYDEB Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2007
    Phelps, NY
    Isn't that weird that they are not satisfied with one? do you think they come in pairs? Two of my hens were taken early in the morning, one rooster found dead with no marks..one rooster found with no tail but alive..We have had traps out for 4 legged preds but nothing in them yet. Very puzzling. Hawks have been seen swooping in area so my chickens are now confined in with the goats in the pen.

7. Hellebore

Hellebore Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Kirkland WA
    We have bald eagles here in the Seattle area and they can carry off cats and small dogs with no problem, and I am sure they would love to get a chicken as well. My husband knows of someone who had a huge tree come down and there was a bald eagle nest in it with several cat collars.

8. Sabrinainmiss

Sabrinainmiss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    After loosing 3 roos about 14 weeks old to a nasty hawk (the last one within 20 feet of me) all my chicken big to small are now kept in their enclosed run with roof over their heads. I know they hate not being able free range but I fear for their lives and can NOT watch another one be taken off with by the dern hawk.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie New Egg

May 18, 2007
    I've seen a peregrine take down a full grown chicken (part bantam). It was smaller than the chicken, so a red-tailed hawk would have no problem.

10. w8tn4fresheggs

w8tn4fresheggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    Does anyone know if they give you a hint other than flying above you that they are coming, like a sound? I am always looking up for them. Mine are safe in their coop and run. But I let them out usually in the morning for awhile, while I am there and also in the evening. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by