Early morning wake up clucks

bbeasler

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
One of my girls is clucking very early and loudly in the morning. It is not always the same hen but always just one of the flock. Is this common? It just started a month ago. I am anxious it is going to bother the neighbors if it hasn't already and it's driving me a bit nuts. Thoughts? Thank you.

Very frequently as pullets reach laying age they become more vocal. Is this a possibility? Some become more quiet when they start laying, and conversely some become more vocal.

Yup chicken are vocal past those cute lil peeps. I can tell you what I have, but all chickens are really individuals...so once you rule out its not noise for a problem, like a predator (neighbors cat or dog in Sight-even if not bothering coop will cause them alarm and they will carry on to warn one another, or hawks - they hunt cities too, or snakes). I had a ruckus going on for weeks, the girls laid less eggs (i blamed the heat), and every morning the ruckus started for a lil bit, I'd look and see nothin. Then I went down to clean coop out, ruckus started- I see a rat snake leaving nest area back to its hole under a tree. I didn't get it but tried. The next morning I waited-yup snake came out, hens clucked n clucked and then feeling brave or fed up they finally attacked and killed it! But for weeks I had no idea, just thought they were being butts.
i have a mixed flock. Diff breeds I've noticed are a bit more vocal. When mine lay, my barred rock sounds like Aretha Franklin singing the egg song. I have a dl barnavelder that I swear if she didn't lay me an egg everyday I'd think she was a rooster with a broken crow! Then I have an Easter egger who only clicks when somethin is wrong or someone is missing. She sweet, quiet and still let's us know if somethin is up. Ihave 2 Wheatan ameraucanas that only call for a need also. I love the last two breeds. They're sweet, calm, accept new birds without fuss or bullying. But I have acres for noise...my barred rock would have to go if I had neighbor in the city.

Back
Top Bottom