Early Pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by angelbabyamy, Apr 16, 2011.

1. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    Well, my chick aren't due to hatch until Monday and I was getting ready for lockdown tonight and I notice an egg with a hole in it and I can see the chick's beak. It's at the wrong end too! Dang! I am hoping the chick makes it. I put it to my ear and heard cheeps and some pecking. I hadn't upped my humidity yet, it was at 45. I must have some hotter spots in the incubator. It is homemade. This is my third hatch in a row and I have had good luck so far, although my last hatch had several chicks pip on the wrong end also. I am hand turning and my eggs lay on their side. Would putting them in egg cartons help? What causes chicks to pip on the wrong end? The eggs is a nice shape.
    These are Polish eggs. With my last 2 hatches the Polish chicks hatched early also, is this common?

2. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Others on here have had the same thing happen and with just one certain breed. So, I'm not sure if it's just certain ones. As for using a carton, I can't answer that one for you, sorry. Someone else is sure to know! [​IMG]

3. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    Well, my chick hatched and has some egg yolk to absorb. Looks like she might have splay legs, She is very weak. Don't know if she will make it. She seems to be a lovely silver blue color. Eggs were taken from my polish chickens house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by