Early/pre-bumblefoot?

Lumikko

Songster
Sep 14, 2019
Wayne, NJ
Nugget, one of my 14 week old girls, has a little flap of skin on her left foot and a black dot inside of it (pictures below). It doesn't look swollen, although I may have convinced myself it's slightly bigger than the other, and no redness or limping. I soaked it/cleaned it and sprayed with Vetericyn. Figured I'll do this 2 times a day and monitor. I'd welcome any thoughts and advice. Thank you.

20200705_103627.jpg

20200705_103632.jpg

20200705_103724.jpg

Leave it alone. I dont see any swelling nor redness, it might go away on its own. I've done quite a few bumblefoot surgeries. Inspect the footpad for swelling/redness about every 5 or 6 days.
I cleaned her foot and applied Vetericyn. I'm not going to do anything invasive. If it gets red or swollen, off to the vets we go. Thank you!

Nugget, one of my 14 week old girls, has a little flap of skin on her left foot and a black dot inside of it (pictures below). It doesn't look swollen, although I may have convinced myself it's slightly bigger than the other, and no redness or limping. I soaked it/cleaned it and sprayed with Vetericyn. Figured I'll do this 2 times a day and monitor. I'd welcome any thoughts and advice. Thank you.

View attachment 2227883
View attachment 2227884
View attachment 2227885
To me it looks like she cut her foot on something. Most likely not bumblefoot. I would say vetricyn and saltwater soaks would help heal it up.

Why go to a vet when you could easily do the minor surgery yourself? Save yourself a bunch of $$$.
As stated by @pekincochin12, I'm not super thrilled by the idea of slicing in their feet while they can feel it. I don't have any issue with the procedure itself, I've worked in the veterinary field for a good while now, but I do have an issue with causing unnecessary pain. Luckily, I have the access to good veterinary care so, unless it's an absolute emergency, I'd rather let the professionals take care of my girls.

Thank you all!

Last edited:
I can tell that some folks havnt done bumblefoot surgery. Chickens dont feel pain when cutting through the scab and the infection. Once the infection is completely removed, then yes, they can feel pain again, which is a good sign. It means that the infection was successfully removed.
Once the infection reaches the legbone, there's no amount of antibiotics that will stop the infection from spreading and death follows.
I'll be happy to walk anyone through the surgical procedure. Post #2 in this link will help you:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/early-bumblefoot-how-can-i-help.1391252/#post-22835178

There is another way to eliminate bumblefoot without surgery. Soaking the bumblefoot in Tricide Neo for a period of time will eventually shrink and heal the infection. Here's a link: See Post #3:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-i-cured-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.1283554/

Last edited:
I can tell that some folks havnt done bumblefoot surgery. Chickens dont feel pain when cutting through the scab and the infection. Once the infection is completely removed, then yes, they can feel pain again, which is a good sign. It means that the infection was successfully removed.
Once the infection reaches the legbone, there's no amount of antibiotics that will stop the infection from spreading and death follows.
I'll be happy to walk anyone through the surgical procedure.

There is another way to eliminate bumblefoot without surgery. Soaking the bumblefoot in Tricide Neo for a period of time will eventually shrink and heal the infection. Here's a link: See Post #3:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-i-cured-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.1283554/
This is great information. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom