Early "Puberty"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by myretrieverotie, May 15, 2011.

1. myretrieverotie

myretrieverotie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Ok, I have 24 chicks a mix of Golden Comets, Arucana, & Black Astralorps. They range between 5-6wks old. I have 2 roos (Astralorps). Today, the larger of the the roos was attempting to mate with one of my hens. This seems way early to me. Am I right? If so, do I need to be concerned? So far, other than the girls not being thrilled about it, I think everyone is fine.

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:At this age it is most likely not a mating issue. Instead it is most likely just a pecking order issue. .. . .
    Watch them and the issue should resolve itself in a few days.

3. budda

budda Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    OMG...the end of your post about them not bring thrilled caused me to nearly pee my pants. [​IMG]

4. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:What does it look like when they are attempting to mate? So I can be aware....

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:What does it look like when they are attempting to mate? So I can be aware....

Oh you will know it when you see it - -

The roo grabs the hens hackles or combs and jumps on her . . . You will know it when you see it. ...

6. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC

Oh you will know it when you see it - -

The roo grabs the hens hackles or combs and jumps on her . . . You will know it when you see it. ...

Typical man... [​IMG] Haha well I guess that about sums it up! I don't think I wanna put my girls through that...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by