Early quitter movement

Emmaxx

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
UK
Hello BYC!

I am incubating eggs for the first time and have been brought here many times by google with all the questions I've had and learnt a lot (thank you) but I had to sign up to get an answer to this question that has been puzzling me and I can't find an answer to, here or anywhere else.

I candled the 12 button quail eggs we have at 5 days, and 10 of them had 'the spider' and could even see the heart beat on a few. Very exciting! Checked again at 7 days as I knew it was a bit early and just wanted to make sure the two clears weren't just late showers, and one of the ones that was good at 5 days was then looking like it had quit. There was no blood ring at that point but the veins just around the embryo had disappeared :( the embryo was still moving though and there was one vein by it that was pulsing! after lots of searching I found that sometimes they can just be 'resting funny' as in it's settled so that the veins don't look like expected (I can't remember the exact wording but that's what I took from it) but all will be okay, and so i checked again the next night and although there was still a bit of a void immediately around the embryo there will still plenty of spidery veins a bit further out and there was still movement so I thought everything would sort itself out one way or the other.

To cut the story short we are now on day 11 and this particular egg has no discernible veining other than what I would think would be considered a blood ring, there seems to have been no further development of the embryo, yet it still moves!! :eek: what on earth is going on!? why is it moving if it's died? I can't see signs of bacteria, although I don't know what I'd be looking for but would think there'd be obvious clues if it was bad enough to move the contents of the egg. Could it be the heat from the light maybe?

Sorry for the long post, any input would be appreciated as I can't get my head around it but don't want to remove the egg until I know what's going on.

Thanks

Pics? I'm interested in seeing this.

In my experiences with chickens, weak/disappearing veining isn't a good sign. If it's still moving, though, I never deny it a chance.

Also first time incubating eggs? It can be really nerve-wracking the first time (and tbh every time after that lol) but you're going to have a BLAST. Seeing those little fluffy babies makes all the anxiety worth it.

Hello BYC!

I am incubating eggs for the first time and have been brought here many times by google with all the questions I've had and learnt a lot (thank you) but I had to sign up to get an answer to this question that has been puzzling me and I can't find an answer to, here or anywhere else.

I candled the 12 button quail eggs we have at 5 days, and 10 of them had 'the spider' and could even see the heart beat on a few. Very exciting! Checked again at 7 days as I knew it was a bit early and just wanted to make sure the two clears weren't just late showers, and one of the ones that was good at 5 days was then looking like it had quit. There was no blood ring at that point but the veins just around the embryo had disappeared :( the embryo was still moving though and there was one vein by it that was pulsing! after lots of searching I found that sometimes they can just be 'resting funny' as in it's settled so that the veins don't look like expected (I can't remember the exact wording but that's what I took from it) but all will be okay, and so i checked again the next night and although there was still a bit of a void immediately around the embryo there will still plenty of spidery veins a bit further out and there was still movement so I thought everything would sort itself out one way or the other.

To cut the story short we are now on day 11 and this particular egg has no discernible veining other than what I would think would be considered a blood ring, there seems to have been no further development of the embryo, yet it still moves!! :eek: what on earth is going on!? why is it moving if it's died? I can't see signs of bacteria, although I don't know what I'd be looking for but would think there'd be obvious clues if it was bad enough to move the contents of the egg. Could it be the heat from the light maybe?

Sorry for the long post, any input would be appreciated as I can't get my head around it but don't want to remove the egg until I know what's going on.

Thanks

I had one last year that the veins all disappeared yet the embryo was just bouncing around in there, eventually it totally quit as I expected, but it was the first time I had ever seen that happen.

Pics? I'm interested in seeing this.

In my experiences with chickens, weak/disappearing veining isn't a good sign. If it's still moving, though, I never deny it a chance.

Also first time incubating eggs? It can be really nerve-wracking the first time (and tbh every time after that lol) but you're going to have a BLAST. Seeing those little fluffy babies makes all the anxiety worth it.

Hoping to get pictures but I'm using the light on my phone which leaves me with nothing to take them with, trying to find an alternative light source but nothing else is bright enough :sigh that's part of the reason I want to know what's going on, I'm doing it for/with my 8 year old daughter so when I saw the veins had gone I told her that one hadn't made it, but then it moved, and I don't know what to tell her now cos I don't want her to get her hopes up but can't really say it's dies when she's seen it move too (so I know I didn't just imagine it haha)
Very nerve wracking yes, I really hope there is someone left at the end of it :D
I had one last year that the veins all disappeared yet the embryo was just bouncing around in there, eventually it totally quit as I expected, but it was the first time I had ever seen that happen.
How long was it moving for? At first i thought maybe we had just happened to candle it as it was dieing, kinda like death throws, but it's still moving a few days on. I was expecting it to have totally quit by now too, which is why I think it must have and there's something else going on so it just 'appears' to be moving.

Thank you both for your replies :)

Hoping to get pictures but I'm using the light on my phone which leaves me with nothing to take them with, trying to find an alternative light source but nothing else is bright enough :sigh that's part of the reason I want to know what's going on, I'm doing it for/with my 8 year old daughter so when I saw the veins had gone I told her that one hadn't made it, but then it moved, and I don't know what to tell her now cos I don't want her to get her hopes up but can't really say it's dies when she's seen it move too (so I know I didn't just imagine it haha)
Very nerve wracking yes, I really hope there is someone left at the end of it :D
How long was it moving for? At first i thought maybe we had just happened to candle it as it was dieing, kinda like death throws, but it's still moving a few days on. I was expecting it to have totally quit by now too, which is why I think it must have and there's something else going on so it just 'appears' to be moving.

Thank you both for your replies :)

I don't think it was more than 24 hours after I noticead before it quit totally.

I managed to get some pictures!
yesss.gif

So these clearly show little G died (I marked them A-L) I also managed to get a video of the 'movement', just not sure how to upload that one
hmm.png

Yeah, that's lil G moving alright. That's a super clear video, good job.

Sorry you lost him, man. That's definitely a blood ring if I saw one, though. : (

Thank you, I wasn't sure how well it would come out

I never really held out much hope for him really, there was a little crack in the shell when it arrived (which we sealed with nail varnish as I'd read it on here) and it was a strangely round egg :/ so was really surprised to see veining in the first place!

So if the little guy has died what are your thoughts on what's causing the movement?

You honestly got me there. Wonder if lil man is just...floating there, detached? It's hard to throw away an egg that's still moving....Gosh.

I've HEARD of eggs developing with places that look like a ring of blood spots, but they usually have a network attached to the embryos elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom