Early Quitters?

AngeJD

Chirping
Apr 3, 2021
Set 18 call duck eggs, and candled today at day 7. 3 definite yolkers, and these 2 I'm pretty certain are quitters but wanted to ask before I toss...

One egg does have ONE faint vein, but considering the winners in the bunch all have a large network of red veins and I can see the embryo, I'm not holding out hope. The other one has a dark spot, but the insides look murky and the yolk moved around wherever you turn it...either way, this isn't right for day 7 right?
20210429_122707.jpg
20210429_122834.jpg

I figured they were both quitters :(

Any chance of them exploding if I put them back in to wait? I have 13/18 viable in the bator right now...

Thanks!

I figured they were both quitters :(

Any chance of them exploding if I put them back in to wait? I have 13/18 viable in the bator right now...

Thanks!
There is a low chance of them exploding if you candle again day 14. But with that said I would keep an eye open if you start to see any oozing (still a low chance)

Thanks! I'm thinking I may just toss - the other 13 viable ones have really large network of veins, and I can see the embryo and the eye on them. If these ones are just slow, they're a week behind despite perfect temp and humidity. 13/18 isn't bad!

Thanks! I'm thinking I may just toss - the other 13 viable ones have really large network of veins, and I can see the embryo and the eye on them. If these ones are just slow, they're a week behind despite perfect temp and humidity. 13/18 isn't bad!
Ok! If that’s what you would like to do! I think it’s a safe bet to throw them out, too!

I did. A little disappointed but still glad to have 13. This is my second hatch ever and of course I chose call ducks lol. My last hatch I set 6, had 2 yolkers, and hatched 2, so I thought I'd up the odds this time by setting 18! If I can get 10 out of this setting I'd be super happy...though even the assisted hatching I had to do last time was nervewracking enough to get 2 babies!

You guys are an amazing source of info and reassurance, hopefully one day with more experience I'll be able to return the favour to new hatchery as well.

Back
Top Bottom