Early risers? What time 'should' a chicken be waking up in the morning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheWolfRaven, Dec 28, 2016.

1. TheWolfRaven

TheWolfRaven Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2015
    I've just realised that I've got a security camera pointed straight at my chicken coop (only took me three years of staring down at the footage to realise that!) and on having a flick through my footage, I've seen some really... odd behaviour.

My girls are in a predator proof 2mx2m run as well as the coop itself and the run space below it. Also got a pair of dogs to frighten away predators, so really no concerns other than a few rats, so I do leave the coop door open into the run 24/7.

The footage kicks in at about 4:30 every morning (dodgey camera- low light levels make it virtually useless), and at 4:30am all three of my girls are already downstairs and wide awake. Scratching away, eating, drinking, chasing bugs- all normal chicken-y stuff.
    I had heard somewhere that chickens see daylight before we can, but I didn't expect to see them up and about so early!
    If it makes any difference, they usually head off to bed anywhere between 8:30-9pm. Usually after sunset, and very occasionally after dark.
    All are still laying- although they all tend to lay around midday. I rarely get any eggs before noon!

So is this something normal or...?
    Just curious :)

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's normal for them to be up at about a half-hour to an hour before sunrise. It's normal for them to go to roost at about sunset, or a bit after. Sounds like it's summer where you are. It's a myth that all chickens lay in the morning. I've got quite a few afternoon layers.

3. TheWolfRaven

TheWolfRaven Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2015

Someone told me something was wrong with my girls because they didn't lay in the morning- I shook it off because they're all happy, healthy girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by