early sexing signs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vsmenagerie, Aug 19, 2011.

1. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    I ordered 20 pullets and they are 2 weeks now. I know its early but was curious if there was a site or if you could give me some things to watch for, to see if they are indeed, all pullets? I know it may be awhile, but I was thinking about it today when watching them play outside [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Actually the one in your picture looks like a boy, his comb is pretty big for 2 weeks. [​IMG] The things to looks for in a roo are a big and red comb and wattles, stocky legs, a tall posture, brighter and piontier feathers, especailly in the hackle and saddle feathers, a big, curved, colorful tail, and eventually spurs. Males also tend to feather slower than pullets, however that doesn't always happen. Not all roosters will show all of these signs, but these are the common things roosters tend to display. If you have any questionable chicks you can post them here, and we can tell you the gender. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Yes, I am watching that one the most LOL Now I think Im seeing signs of pink/red showing up. She/he is also one of the biggest chicks at the moment. They will be 3 weeks tomorrow. Thank you!

Here are some pics of this same one today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Oh so cute...I miss the baby stage! Now in the egg waiting stage!

5. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:They are growing so fast, I sort of miss the baby stage! they are mini chickens now with fluffy heads haha And its interesting the differences in personality compared to breeds. The light brahmas are by far, the friendliest. Then the buff orphs arent too bad. The easter eggers are getting there, they will come sit on us but dont like when we move. the partridge plymouth rocks are the most shy.

ETA: and they all seem to love having their bellies rubbed [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  6. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    So, the BO I pictured here, I am going to say boy. Definitely the biggest and pinkest/reddest comb from the BO group, and I see wattles forming...

blurry, but he's in the front. Big difference from the other 4 LOL
    [​IMG]

And now Im watching this light brahma. Same as the BO, biggest comb, its pinkest, one of the bigger ones from the group. I hope not though. Love the LB's lol

[​IMG]

They are almost 5 weeks now. I plan on having my daughter help me get them out of their pen to get some better pictures. I am s

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  7. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    on the LB if that is a pea comb, looks like 3 rows, and if I am not mistaken I think that is indicative of males (3 rows of bumps on the comb) But I am a newbie myself. For the LB I would guess male:/

8. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:It is definitely different then the others. Ive been looking up photos on here and Im inclined to agree with you! *sigh* I was expecting a few boys out of the 20, just hoping for none haha

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If you ordered all 20 birds as pullets from the hatchery then they must all be pullets, we all know the hatchery would never fib or mess up your order.

10. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by