early signs of gapeworms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lisa202, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    My 10 month old bantam brahma just started frequently opening her mouth while stretching her neck only slightly. I've looked up gapeworms, but don't see any of the other symptoms (head shaking, sneezing?, tired & not eating).

1) Could this be an early sign of gapeworm and then be easier to treat?
    2) If not, what else would cause this behavior?
    3) If it is early signs of gapeworm, how do I treat it? (I've seen recommendations for Ivomec, Flubendazole in feed and levamisole, and a topical medicine?)
    4) Would I treat all chickens?
    5) If treating, and for now not knowing if worms, should I not eat her/& their eggs?

I've read posts where the meds don't work and the chicken would still has the symptoms while getting worse...is this a common thing and can I avoid this?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If you dont see any of the symptoms that you mentioned, then it's not gapeworm.
    They stretch their necks and yawn sometimes due to heat, adjust to swallowing feed, trying to move food around in their crop etc...
    If they had gapeworm, they wouldnt be able to swallow or hardly breathe. Here's what they look like in the chickens windpipe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. Lisa202

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    thanks Dawg,

I've been watching her intently for the last 30 minutes and she hasn't done it again. Maybe she was doing the things you mentioned. I do plan on preventative worming at 1 year (I think you recommend that?)

Did you change your avatar? (you standing next to a motorcycle?)

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Preventative worming at least once a year is a good idea. I worm mine once a quarter.
    Yes, I changed my avater twice. The BR's in the pic are 6 years old and still laying. They are real sweeties. I'll probably go back to the original bike pic soon lol.

5. Lisa202

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Ok, so it was you who had all that worming advice I was reading a while back. I will go find those posts re-read it.

Wow...6 years and still laying. You must be the chicken whisperer. [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Chicken whisperer- no way lol. (Parasite free chickens!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by