early signs of gender in mixed breed chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dftkarin, Jun 20, 2009.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    I have 7 completely mut chicks from a chicken farm far away from my house - (someone gave me the eggs and my broody hatched them) and they are cute but don't look anything like the pure breed chicks I had last year - so I have no idea what to expect with these cuties. What should I look for to determine there sexes? Are there universal generic signs that a chick might be a male or female? Besides the eventual crowing? More red combs, different types of feathers? I'm new to chickens and only bought sex pullet chicks last year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think you've got it down. Size of legs, redness of comb, type of tail feathers... the first tell tale signs of a roo.

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I agree with Mahonri! But you could still post pics...We Love babie pics! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Songster

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    Type of tail feathers...

I think the roos grow their tail feathers quite slowly. Someone correct me itf I'm wrong please [​IMG]

5. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I thought feathering in more slowly was also a sign... am I wrong? I have an unknown gender blue cochin/ee chick, not really sure.

6. elmo

elmo Crowing

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    No idea about the gender question, but those are nice looking chickens you have there. I've read about "hybrid vigor," sometimes the "mutts" really are healthier and stronger.

Mine are hybrids, too. One is a Serama/D'Uccle cross, the others are Serama/OE Game bantams.

I'm very interested in gender, also, since we are not legally allowed to keep roosters. We're already so attached to all these chicks it's going to be very difficult to rehome the guys.

7. dftkarin

dftkarin Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    They all seem equally feathered out to me, but some have funny "tufts" of feathers on their tails - like you see the skinny base of the feathers for a centemeter and then the feathery feathers appear - its a funny look (I can't get a good picture yet) - is THAT the different with tail feathers? And what means what when it comes to tail feathers?

8. amysflock

amysflock Songster

May 8, 2008
    Tenino, WA
    I'm curious about this, too. I lost my whole flock to a coyote in mid-May but a friend hatched the remaining fertile eggs we had, and I'm now brooding 19 10-day old chicks. Most have their little tiny new tail feathers starting, but a few still have fluffy baby butts. But then again, some have really stocky, thick legs and others don't. My roo was a Black Australorp and the hens were Red Stars, Black Stars and Easter Eggers...so, all the babies are second generation mutt. [​IMG]

9. TexasVet

TexasVet Songster

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I'm never for sure until they're about 6 weeks old. By then the pullet's bodies are fully feathered... the roos still have down on the bows of the wings and down the back. So if they're feathering slowing in those areas and have any other rooster signs (pecking at me, larger spur nubs, larger comb), I know I'm looking at a future dinner.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: