Early Spring?

silkie1472

Songster
Dec 28, 2016
Here in Arkansas we have had a couple warm days. Lately my ducks, especially the mallards, have became increasingly territorial. The Rouens are constantly mating and getting bullied by the mallards. I have noticed that when the weather became warm, the ducks left the water and began exploring around our yard and house. Normally they do this around the end of march when spring has began, but they seem as if they are looking for a place to nest and are eating everything in sight. Could they be confused that spring is not here yet or is this behavior normal? Here is a pic of what they are doing.

I agree that it's feeling springlike here in KY, too, and the ducks are behaving accordingly. My Muscovies have started laying so I'm not complaining, but I do worry about a cold spell coming and throwing everyone off kilter. Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

My ducks in captivity / pets have always exhibited this behavior earlier than when I think the wild ducks get it on (for raising their babies when food is plenty). Maybe the warm weather but also maybe they know that there is a food supply.

Also keep in mind it may be up to a month before the eggs hatch, not including the time it takes the female to determine how many eggs she wants to sit on (in other words, more days included to lay the eggs), so the ducks are timing it just about right!

Last edited:
My girls are acting springish here in Oregon too! Molting, mating.. and it looks like we have some really nice weather coming next week. My Rouen laid her first egg just before Christmas, then two more and that was that. Early eggs would be so appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom