Early Stages of Scaly Leg Mite?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Knittycat, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I've seen some examples on BYC of nasty cases of scaly leg mite, but I'm curious to know what a very early or light case would look like. I got to looking at my chickens really closely today, and one of them seems to have slightly discolored and slightly lifted scales on her ankle. Not much just a little. Is this an early warning sign of leg mite or is it normal and I've just never noticed it before?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't think they should be lifted. And Vaseline won't hurt her.

If that's what it is, good for you for catching it early!

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah, they shouldn't be lifted. Discoloration is not unexpected and happens all the time for this or that reason, but when the scales appear to be lifted then you have a problem. Looks like you have a fun evening of lubing up some chicken legs ahead of you! Bugs are such a pain...

Good luck.

4. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Thanks! Tomorrow is going to be...fun...

5. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    I bought a pair at a swap once who had it really really bad. What I did was first soak their feet in warm water with a couple squirts of Dawn dish detergent. Soak it for about 5-10 mins. Then I scrubbed as best I could underneath the scales with a firm toothbrush, then dried. The rooster loved it! Then I completely covered his legs to the drumstick with vaseline. I continued applying the vaseline every other day for a week. What a DIFFERENCE! It was amazing! I'm telling you I would not have believed it, had I not seen it for myself.

The process is tedious, but your chickens will love you for it!

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It's easier to use cooking spray than to rub on Vaseline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by