Early stop to laying & some never started

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Want Less, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    This past spring we added to our RIR & BSL flock. We added a Marans and four Ameraucanas. Here's what we have and their laying status (which is my question):

1.5 yr old RIRs (2): still laying strong
    1.5 yr old BSLs (3): still laying strong
    32 wk old Marans pullet (1): started laying 20 wks, stopped ~3 weeks ago completely
    28 wk old Ameraucana pullets (2): started laying between 21-23 weeks, stopped ~3 weeks ago completely
    25 wk old Ameraucana pullets (2): Have not started laying

About 4 weeks ago was Hurricane Irene (we got nailed, we are in eastern NC). The hens laid normal all through the storm and for several days after. Within the week though, all of my younger ones (the marans and the two laying Ams) stopped laying completely. The two younger Ams have yet to start laying even though they both have definitely matured (wider butts and redder combs).

I know the flock usually slacks off a bit during the winter (last year my RIRs & BSL didnt miss a beat but I just marked it off to being lucky lol) but I am surprised that my younger girls that were laying hardly made it into September before they suddenly quit. Should I be concerned?

Also... for my two youngest... they've not laid at all. Is it possible that they won't until spring now?

Food/routines have not changed.

(Side note: not possible to add lights to encourage laying, we dont have power run to the pen)

2. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    THis is my second year raising Marans and I know they are late to mature but... they go broody so easy and seem to lay inconsistantly and almost not at all in the winter. I have not been impressed but am still trying!

3. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Quote:We only have the one Marans that we got this year and we've been very happy with her eggs (she was a pretty consistent layer once she started) but I didnt realize until recently that so many people mention they dont lay hardly at all in the winter. We had planned to add more Marans to our flock in the future but we need to limit our seasonal freeloaders [​IMG]

Our rooster is a Marans, he's great. But of course his job is protecting the flock, not making us breakfast!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by