early tail feathers = roo?? 10 day old PICS

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by opihiman911, Dec 14, 2007.

1. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Here are some pics of my 10 day old hatch. They are supposed to be a mix of pure breed austraulop and white orpington, some pure , some mixed. I definately got 2 austrolorps there, one mixed half half, and maybe one white orp.

I was wondering if those 2 chicks with early tail feathers and wing feathers mean its a roo?? They are only 10 days old and those tail feather came in 2-3 days ago, when they were a week old. The other 2 still have puff ball tails.
    Either way I will be happy with a 50/50 mix.

Aloha,
    Cory

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  2. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I'm not sure how it's worked out for others, but it seems that most of the ones that I've had that got their tail feathers first ended up being female. It works for me with about 90% of the time. At hatch, some breeds have longer wing pin feathers, which indicate females, but I'm not sure what all breeds this is reliable for.

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Girls!

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yeah, all my standards had little tails real fast! girls

5. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Ditto on the other posts. Although not all of my slow feather-ers were boys.. if that makes sense.

Cute chicks!

Meghan

6. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    I marked mt chick with slow growing tail feathers and 4 weeks later well it's a BOY he is even starting to attempt to crow Hiliarious! and his comb is alot bigger then the others.

Kasi

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In general, boys feather in slower than the girls in many breeds like Orpingtons. The first to get tails are usually the girls. If you have some who are almost bare on the back, losing fuzz faster than the feathers come in, those are probably the boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by