Earmites

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 1acrefarm, Feb 4, 2008.

1. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I just had to treat my rabbits ear mites for the second time in 2 years. I do not like treating symptoms. I would rather the rabbit not get them to begin with. I always keep rabbits under shelter in an elevated wire cage. I have rabbit in the house in a different cage now. I will wash its normal cage down real good and let it sit in the sun for a few weeks before it goes back in it. Anything I can do to prevent these mites in the future?

2. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I believe Revolution is used (off label) as a preventative for rabbits. I know it has this effect for cats/kittens, but I would check with your vet.

3. Harmon_7

Harmon_7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    WD-40 or cooking oil spay it or dump it in there

4. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    You can clean out their ears frequently with mineral oil. The oil suffocates the mites.

5. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I use the mineral oil to cure it. I am just hoping to somehow be able to change conditions to prevent it.

6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
  7. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    All i say is do not use WD-40. Thats not good for them to be licking. Revolution is a great idea. There are other topical ones at the vet you could ask about. That would get rid of them for sure. Mineral oil is what is usually used to suffocate them mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by