Earning her keep

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tcal, Jan 9, 2009.

1. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    One of the girls just started laying today! Small, oblong and in a different nest. Out of my 7 hens I've been getting 4 a day, today I got 5! YEA!

I have one though that (I watched her one day) stands up before laying and dropping the egg which sometimes cracks it. She's just seems to be in a hurry to get it out and get down. I put extra hay in there but she scratches it back. Dunno.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    CONGRATS on the new egg !!!!

WAY TO GO HEN [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats! I know I was extremely proud the first time my girls were able to "buy" their own bag of feed and scratch.
    A few of my girls, especially when they first started laying, stand up to finish laying the egg. I keep a ton of a hay in the nest and their shells are good and hard from all the calcium they get so I haven't had a problem with cracked eggs.
    You might try packing the hay in the box good and tight and then create a nest in the center of the pile by seperating the hay with your hands. When I do this it still leaves an inch or so of hay on the bottom to cushion the egg when it falls.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I took some foam off an old mattress pad and layed it in the bottom of the nest and then put my shavings on it. That was cheap and affective. jean

5. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Great idea jean! thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by