earning my pin feathers!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChrisandraO, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ChrisandraO

ChrisandraO Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Pensacola, Fl
    A little about my self, Im 23 years old and live on the out skirts of Pensacola Fl with my husband and roommate. I decided to get some back yard birds because I love animals and hate how most store bought meat is full of antibiotics and the birds are given a horrible life before slaughter(I am one of those people haha).

After doing some research I found out my community I live in doesn't allow chickens(which is what I originally wanted) So I started to look into other domestic birds that are good for meat, eggs, and are mostly quite and stumbled across Button Quail and I have fallen head over heels for the little peep peeps.

We went to the farmers market and picked up 4 chicks. two appear to be A&Ms( they are white with yellow heads currently) and two look to be goldens to me. They were all mixed together and nothing was labeled so I don't know for sure if they are jumbos or regulars, but they were marked at being 3-4 weeks old.

We currently have them indoors (until they finish growing) in a 1 foot by 3 foot cage, and they are doing well on a mix of turkey crumble and wild game feed as well as meal worms :)

I currently am looking for local/ simi-local hatching eggs so I can try my hand at incubating :)

My end goal is to have three cages, 1 with 5 hens and one roo, 1 with about 6 hens (just for eggs), 1 for growing up the extra males and females for selling or butchering depending on our needs :) I also plan on having at least one incubator and brooder box going (hopefully at all times so we will always have fresh meat)

Here is a picture of our first birds when we picked them up :)
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of them a week later!
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What interesting birds. I don't know about quail but if you go to "Other Backyard Poultry " forum above, you will find threads for quail, guineas, ducks, geese, etc. The folks on the quail threads should be able to answer your questions. Welcome to Backyard chickens

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

Your quail are very cute! I've never kept any before, but they've always seemed like nice little birds.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Cute chicks!

8. ChrisandraO

ChrisandraO Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Pensacola, Fl
    Thanks for the warm welcome! :) In the short time ive been on this sight I went from I know what im doing to I truly did not do enough research before hand XD But I am learning as i read threw forums [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by