Earrings are not treats!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KatharinetheGr8, Nov 7, 2015.

1. KatharinetheGr8

KatharinetheGr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    I had a hysterical 3 minutes looking all over the ground for one of my favorite pearl earrings this afternoon. Spike, my sweet rooster boy, had flown onto my shoulder (as he likes to do) and immediately plucked the earring right out of my ear! I felt my clothing for the back and quickly returned the chickens to the run. In a mad panic, I made a frantic call to my grandfather asking him the chances that Spike would survive through the digestion of an earring. His response was grim. He told me he thought that Spike had a 50% chance of living through the ordeal (then of course suggested having Spike for dinner, like he does every time I talk to him). I continued searching the ground for a small pearl stud feeling gloomier by the moment. I took a few steps back and, as the clouds parted and the sun shone down a little brighter, there the earring was on the gravel pathway. Okay, maybe it wasn't quite that dramatic. But the relief I'm feeling that Spike didn't ingest my earring is real!

2. KatharinetheGr8

KatharinetheGr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    [​IMG]
    Moments before the little bugger stole my earring!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Ouch! Hope your ears are o.k? I have a tiny scar on my finger from when a curious cockbird went after my wedding ring a few years ago. Who knows that these birds think?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    LOL they think....OOOoooo SHINY!

KGr8.....Earrings are just one reason I don't let birds near my face.

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Katharine, glad you found your earring ok (and didn't have to eat Spike for dinner to find it, lol).

Great new picture for your avatar!

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Ouch! No one but another chicken keeper would believe that one sumi...you'd do better to make up a story!

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I think I was honest and told people the truth, which most likely earned me a few VERY odd looks! I guess that's why they call us "crazy chicken ladies"? [​IMG]

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's one of the great things about being here...we all get it, lol.[​IMG]

10. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I always take my earings off when I go in the chicken yard, there have been very close calls that I decided better be safe than sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by