I had a hysterical 3 minutes looking all over the ground for one of my favorite pearl earrings this afternoon. Spike, my sweet rooster boy, had flown onto my shoulder (as he likes to do) and immediately plucked the earring right out of my ear! I felt my clothing for the back and quickly returned the chickens to the run. In a mad panic, I made a frantic call to my grandfather asking him the chances that Spike would survive through the digestion of an earring. His response was grim. He told me he thought that Spike had a 50% chance of living through the ordeal (then of course suggested having Spike for dinner, like he does every time I talk to him). I continued searching the ground for a small pearl stud feeling gloomier by the moment. I took a few steps back and, as the clouds parted and the sun shone down a little brighter, there the earring was on the gravel pathway. Okay, maybe it wasn't quite that dramatic. But the relief I'm feeling that Spike didn't ingest my earring is real!