Ears!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moodusnewchick, Jun 17, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Ok, I'm still a newbie so I have to share this shame. Our chickens have holes in their heads!! I thought the ears were those thin membranes (apparently the ear drum I have so learned) on their heads. I was bothering my RIR bantam who doesn't like being held, looked at, breathed on...I was massaging her little head when the tuft of feather covering the ear hole came up and I saw this hole. I checked the other side and low and behold another tuft, another hole! Of course I checked the other chickens too. I didn't lift the other tufts, just verified that they all have tufts I didn't realize were covering their ear holes!!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That is correct, they don't have external ear appendages like we do. They have holes basically leading into their ears. The face patch though isn't an ear like it would be on a turtle though. It's just a face patch over where their equivalent jaw is.

3. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Thanks mood and silkie.
    I learn something new about chickens every day.
    I am off out to see if my hens have ear holes too.
    What an interesting hobby!
    And I'm not being sarcastic. Strange perhaps, but not sarcastic.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    While youre there take a look at their vents.
    There is some pretty interesting stuff goin' on back there, too.

5. CleverYou

CleverYou Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    [​IMG] you know you can tell what color egg a chicken lays by there ear lobe?
    ...red earlobe brown eggs white earlobe white eggs....with exception to the araucana...they have blue earlobes....lay blue and green eggs
    [​IMG]

6. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    moodusnewchick I had the same reaction when I got my cockatiel 10 years ago. I knew that hey had ears, but it just never occurred to me that they had 'holes' for ears ^_^

7. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    That is cute!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    elderoo, you are just way to funny LOL

9. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    thanks for indulging me! hmm, vents. I haven't checked those out since i cleaned them for pasty butt. well, i'll let you know what else I learn about the wonderful world of chickens! I saw some you-tube video of someone massaging an egg out of her chicken and onto her lap. AND THEN I read about real-time farmers "massaging" their roos for sperm. Is it called sperm? well anyway, I don't think the chickens and I will venture into those realms, but you know I'm going to go look at their vents. I'll probably get pooped on, but that happens anyway.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    AND THEN I read about real-time farmers "massaging" their roos for sperm.

Okay, somewhere you gotta draw the line. That's gotta be it.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by