EARTH HOUR - worldwide event - Please participate on 3/28/09!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lisahaschickens, Mar 27, 2009.

1. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Hello everyone -

I know many of you may already know about this, but tomorrow will see the annual "earth hour," set up by the World Wildlife Fund. At 8:30pm in your time zone (earth hour will "roll" around the earth with the time zones), everyone (businesses included) is encouraged to turn off all non-essential electronics (refrigerators and egg incubators, furnaces, etc, can stay on, of course) and lights for one hour. The Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building, and other major international landmarks will be going dark for an hour as well.

They are hoping for as many as one billion participants, covering all seven continents! Please join us in this effort! It is a fun way to be part of the global community and to show support for our precious planet!

2. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] egg incubators? haha. Sounds like a very good idea! Thankfully I don't have any eggs in the bator right now! [​IMG]

4. hennypenny9

Lolz, newchickenfamily, she's saying that bators should stay on because they're "essential" like refrigerators and furnaces.

5. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    [​IMG] yes ma'am... those can stay ON! No need to ruin a batch of eggs by turning them off for an hour.

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, seems like every year I hear about it after the fact!
    [​IMG] Thanx!!!!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    There was a talk show host on this morning here on KFYI who said, "You know they are getting ready to test the power grids in Phoenix for the summer; they want to know if we can handle the high demand come June through August. So here is what "they" are asking us to do: From 8:30PM to 9:30PM on Saturday night, tell everybody you know to turn on every light in your home, turn on the pool pump, leave your refrigerator doors open, turn on every TV & DVD player, every cable box, turn down all of your AC units to 60 with the doors and windows open and make certain that your neighbors do the same."

We could have an interesting "earth hour" here in Phoenix. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  8. hennypenny9

9. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Hahahhahahaha mahonri you right wing nut you. Hahahahahaha. Since this is sponsored by the ecoterrorist group WWF I will be sure to do just as your radio show host reccommended. LOL.

10. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Quote:I sence a mod twill be upon us. Soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by