Earth Worms?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Birddog1148, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Birddog1148

Birddog1148 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Sandusky Ohio
    So I am new to chickens and I have 6 pullets from TSC. A couple of them have what look like feathers starting to grow on the ends of their wings, but I forgot to ask how old they were yesterday when I bought them. I was out working in the garden and found some earth worms and I wondered if the chicks could eat them. Any thoughts? I didnt try to feed them but was wondering for the next time I find some.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can call TSC and they'll tell you the day they got the order. The chicks probably hatched 2-3 days before that.
    2 things
    Chicks are best off with a starter/grower feed and nothing else. It is relatively optimal nutrition based on many decades of research.
    Earthworms can contain parasitic worms so I don't encourage my chickens to eat them.
    Mealworms are a good treat for chicks.

3. Birddog1148

Mar 8, 2012
    Sandusky Ohio
    Just called and they said they got em thursday. Should I worry about em eating worms when they move outside?

4. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    My chickens don't eat earthworms, they will play with them, throw them around and steal it from each other. But they don't eat them. Now meal worms. WATCH OUT, those chickens LOVELOVELOVE em.

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I wouldn't feed them earthworms...that's the only time of 9 years my chicks got cocci. Try crickets, grasshoppers, grubs. :D

6. Birddog1148

Mar 8, 2012
    Sandusky Ohio
    Thanks

7. Eddy Chicken

Eddy Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    Southern New Jersey
    Feed them the earthworms. Mine ate them the same day they arrived from Ideal at 3 days old. They're good for them. Mine have been eating them everyday for 19 weeks now. They're chickens for crying out loud lol! That's what they'de be eating if they were out foraging with momma hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by