1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Earthworms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hayduke27, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Hayduke27

Hayduke27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Gunnison, CO
    My chickens, like most, are constantly on bug patrol, and really love just about any creepy crawly they can get their beaks on. However, they aren't very keen on worms. I find earthworms and bring them to them, and a couple might pick at them, but most just turn up their beaks and walk away. Has anyone else experienced chickens who don't like slimy earthworms??[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickincrazy

chickincrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    My chickens are the exact same way!! Haha! I was beginning to think I had the weirdest chickens in the world! Like you said, mine will also eat just about anything - that is, anything but worms. But the thing I've noticed is that they won't take worms from me, but if they find one in the yard on their own, they swallow it whole! I guess they just don't want me to touch their food:)

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    :lau

Love it!

4. chickincrazy

chickincrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    Anyone else have this goofy problem?

5. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Earthworms carry the blackhead parasite.
    Chickens usually don't get bothered by them but it is deadly to turkeys.
    And chickens can give the parasite to turkeys.
    So maybe the chicken senses this parasite and avoids them.

6. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Grasshoppers can harbor tapeworms,but they LOVE those! Lol. Not sure if it's the kind that can infect a chicken, but it can infect humans. So, before eating your grasshoppers, make sure you remove the head and innards (comes out with the head) and cook them!! Crunchy! Yum.

7. Hayduke27

Hayduke27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Gunnison, CO
    Hahaha, ok, so firstly I would like to say that I have noticed the same thing as chickincrazy, in that my chooks will eat worms they find on their own. Maybe the ones I can catch are the slow, gross kind [​IMG]

Secondly, cheers to crunchy grasshoppers!

1 person likes this.
  8. ccabal

ccabal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Mine were like that when they were young. But once they became laying age, they acquired the taste for worms. Now they go nuts for them. I love looking at their wattles shake as they down the worms.

9. krazyboutpets

krazyboutpets New Egg

Mar 31, 2014
    Is there a list somewhere that tells us what is bad for chickens to eat? We have been giving our babies (5 weeks old) worms that we find in the yard, I guess they are earthworms. But now I'm afraid they might get sick. I would love to have a list of what is good for them and what is not. PLEASE HELP !

10. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    My chickens love earth worms, whether they find them on their own or whether I give them. Chickens are pretty omnivorous and I never worry about them eating bugs and plants they find on their own. And I think it's better not to worry. You can't possibly know which bugs and worms carry disease and which do not, and even if you could, how could you prevent them from eating disease carrying worms that they find on their own? So why worry about it? The only thing I avoid is giving them too much processed people food (sweetened, salted, or high in chemical additives). Seriously, you can drive yourself needlessly crazy worrying about what they eat. Sit back and enjoy it. They'll be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by