earwax clogging roos ears?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimaroo, Mar 11, 2012.

1. kimaroo

kimaroo New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    I have a rooster I keep alone and he does not have a "friend" to help groom in areas he can not reach, so I noticed this yellowish wax in ears about a month ago and used some vaseline to soften and cleaned out. He seemed to like it but I noticed today it was back. I kind of took him because he was mean and let this guy trade for one of my nice ones so that is why I don't leave him w/ any hens. Sometimes I supervise him out w/ a couple of hens that are not paired w/ a rooster but that is why he stays alone in a tractor.
    So is this ear wax? and is it common?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
  3. kimaroo

kimaroo New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    Thank you klmclain1! Sounds like I was on the right track except for the neosporin and the peroxide but I actually thought about the peroxide so I think he had a little cold a while ago too and think I need to use some of that VetRX also. But thanks again for hooking me up w/ that thread!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Chickens dont get colds, they get a specific disease. VetRx is useless for treating respiratory diseases. Tylan or baytril will treat respiratory diseases.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. kimaroo

kimaroo New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    Hi! I just did get back on this computer and notice your info and will write that down to p/u at Co-Op! I hate that it has taken me so long to attend to him but he doesn't seem too bad now. If I give him Tylan of Baytril and he doesn't have a respiratory disease, it wouldn't hurt him, right? I'll be so glad when we have longer days because it's been dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home. I have to do my "chicken chores" w/ a head-band light!...and it's sometimes unfortunate that things can go unnoticed....like one night I was making sure all my hens were in their usual places and I noticed that my prettiest girl was acting scared (her wings were shaking like she was cold). I got her down from the perch and she went into a nest and stood there w/ her wings bowed out a bit and looking at me for help. I was freaking out and got her and noticed her heart beating franticly in her chest (compared to the others which I couldn't feel at all). I was going to take her to the emergency vet (UT) but she died 5 minutes after leaving the house. She just flapped her wings and made a few sounds and closed her eyes. I later discovered she was probably egg bound and if gone unnoticed can cause death after 48 hours. So, I felt so bad, poor baby. I miss her. Sorry for going on but do you think that sounds right? I do keep oyster shell available and this is the first chicken to die. ??? Could she have had a heart attack from this condition? I have 20 hens now that I will try to keep a closer eye on. Thanks again for your advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by