Earwigs...EEEEWWWWW!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kickinchicken, Jun 5, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Ok, I seriously HATE [​IMG] earwigs and I have seen them in my coop as well as under the gate for the run. They just gross me out and make me check my ears over and over....yuck! [​IMG] I just cleaned out the coop because I had a few wet spots due to last night's thunderstorm. I sprinkled (heavily) Sweet PDZ all along the edges of the coop and well as a moderate sprinkling on the floor, then dusted with DE, then covered with a light layer of pine shavings. I only have 5 chicks and I do a total clean out every 7-14 days. More often if it rains-their home is temporary and I just filled in all the known gaps with that spray foam.
    So....how do I get rid of the earwigs. Seriously. No, seriously! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Earwigs are harmless and will not crawl in to your ear. They do like warm humid places though. If you are keeping the coop dry and clean then there isn't much more you can do to get rid of earwigs. The chickens might eat them and they can actually be beneficial. The common earwig is omnivorous and has been seen eating lice.

3. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I know they won't get in my ear [​IMG] But they are just so gross and evil looking. I really just don't want them around. They are not welcome. [​IMG]

4. chick-george

chick-george Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    One of the bugs that I totally hate but my chicks LOVE to eat them.[​IMG] They literally go nuts when they see them.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Chickens LOVE earwigs. I posted a while ago about the time I was going to dump a grow-bag of last year's potting soil into the chickens' favorite dust bath spot, and a slew of earwigs fell out. I flung the bag and jumped back, and moments later Buh-BAWK! there were three chickens and then four chickens and then five, all scrabbling to eat up the bugs faster than they could skitter away.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Amen to Linda's post! Earwigs are those pincher bugs right? If so I had one crawling on me and I went to move it off and the butthead had the nerve to threaten me with his pinchers. Needless to say, my two girls each got half! lol, they LOVE them whenever they can find them [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  7. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    This will not alter those of you who are grossed out by earwigs But they are one of the few bugs who actually raise and care for their young!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  8. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    The reason earwiks got "ear" in their name was because their wings are shaped like human ears, not because they crawl in people's ears.

9. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    My girls adore earwigs...a favorite treat, and they have done a wonderful job of reducing the earwig population in the backyard to the point where we have to really hunt to find any! Love that natural pest control!

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Earwigs have WINGS?? Does that mean they FLY??? *shuddering*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by