Ease help asap

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sarah wholey, Jan 28, 2015.

1. sarah wholey

sarah wholey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    Hello
    I have got one chick completely hatched and has been in the incubator approx 17 hours. None of the other eggs have started to pip yet. Do I take the one chick out and put it under a heat lamp or can it be left in longer? And is there still hope for the other eggs even tho it is the end of day 21 now (they are bantom eggs)
    Any advice would be great

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The chick can stay in the bator up to 3 days. Many people don't remove the chicks until they are completely done. I remove mine once they are active and jumping around as long as I don't have any in the middle of hatching out. Yes, there's plenty of hope for the others. 21 days is just an average. My first hatch I had a lone chick hatch at day 23/24.
    When you set the eggs to incubate did you wait 24 hours to count day one or did you count the day you set them?

3. YardBird192

YardBird192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    Southeast Georgia
    We have a brinsea incubator and it doesn't leave much room for them to stand once they start moving well so as ours each got fluffy, we took them and shell remains out. Their new location was toasty and ready first. We've only hatched three sets of 15 and have a set on lockdown starting tomorrow so I can't say I'm very experienced. We've had them still hatching into late day 22. Those after that didn't make it. We've had two that were perfectly formed in the shell and never pipped. One was "breech." Although I've read about assisting them in hatching,we haven't tried it. After all that yak...sure...take them out into their new warm,safe home..

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Even with the Little Giant Bators, once you have 7/8 chicks hopping around and climbing on thermometers and pushing each other off, it's too chaotic. I had one end up chipping it's beak because there were 7/8 bouncing around. So now, once they have found their feet they come out and go under the brooder light. (I think they fluff up better under the brooder light vs the bator anyway.)
    My last hatch I had three (out of 16) that didn't hatch. All three made it two the last 24 hours. One had even internally pipped, but was shrink wrapped. One I believe drowned as there was significant fluid still in the shell and the other I couldn't figure out.

I also had one that was malepositioned in the last hatch and I did have to assist as her foot was over her beak. It was a long process but she is now a 12 week old healthy pullet.

5. sarah wholey

Jan 28, 2015
    I have taken the one chick out and is now safely under a heat lamp.
    I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the others start hatching soon!
    Thank you for your advise! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. YardBird192

YardBird192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    Southeast Georgia
    What was your outcome??
    To answer a question earlier...if we put them in at 4:30 pm one day, we count 21 days from then and expect them after 4:30 that 21st day. Today, Feb 1st, is suppose to be our hatch day at 4:30. Out of the ten, one pipped last night and have four more this am. Lots of cheeping /chirping going on...love it!

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It sounds like you are counting the day you set them in the incubator. The proper way to count when incubating is not to count the day that you set the eggs. So if you set them at 4:30 pm on Monday, day 1 STARTS 4:30 Tuesday day two Starts 4:30 Wednesday. Generally if you set them on a Monday day 21 is Monday 3 weeks later.

8. sarah wholey

Jan 28, 2015
    I just got one chick. I am on the look out for someone who has also got chicks for sale to go with mine
    Thank you for the advice
    Hopefully I shall have better luck next time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by